Professor Profiles: Linda Schweitzer

Linda Schweitzer has a passion for keeping our planet healthy.

After earning a Bachelor’s degree from University of California, Santa Barbara in environmental biology, Schweitzer worked in the pharmaceutical field for six years and was focused on preventative health care.

Schweitzer’s interest in environmental science grew during her time in California where she surfed the waves in her spare time.

Schweitzer received her master’s degree in toxicology and a Ph.D in ecotoxicology from University of California, Los Angeles, and  began to move more toward academia. She received a job offer from OU, and after visiting the campus, she was committed to getting the job.

Outside of the classroom, Schweitzer works alongside researchers at water treatment plants, examining the quality of drinking water, as well as studying surface water toxicology.

Schweitzer is also interested in learning how to grow food.

Taking an active role in getting her students involved in organic gardening, Schweitzer teachers from an ecological approach.

“Everyone wants healthy, ethical and safe food,” she said.

One of her favorite methods of teaching is to incorporate the “big picture” to integrate and bring information into context. This puts things into a broader spectrum for students to filter in details about what they are learning.

“It’s hard to put together a puzzle if you don’t have the box with the picture on it in front of you,” said Schweitzer.

Schweitzer stresses to her students the importance of challenging the system to not be complacent with things that don’t work.

“Earth’s resources are limited, and the need for alternative energies is on the rise and more funding is needed,” Schweitzer said.

This semester, Schweitzer’s offers courses including: ENV 373, water resources; and ENV 375, introduction to apiculture and sustainability, a course on bee-keeping.