More than vaccines and bandages

Even though flu season has arrived, it might not be the only topic weighing on the minds of students.

Having more than 4,000 student visits a year, the GHC, located near Wilson Hall on campus, offers remedies for stress and anxiety, injuries and services and products such as X-rays, regular check-ups, contraception and more, not just the flu.

Offering a slew of services, some of the over-the-counter products available at the GHC include cough suppressant medication, upset stomach remedies, pain and fever reducers such as Aspirin and Tylenol to first aid kits, vitamins and contraception.

At a cost of 25 cents each and available over-the-counter, “we sell condoms very reasonably,” GHC Director Nancy Jansen said, noting that some student may not realize the availability of the contraceptive.

Jansen said the center provides basic employee examinations for anyone who has recently been hired to a new job as well as several different screenings for nursing students upon entering the program at Oakland University.

Students who are battling acne, asthma or allergies, can also find several solutions at the GHC. The center addresses basic dermatology issues as well as providing allergy injection therapy.

Working in conjunction with the Crittenton Medical Building located across the street on Squirrel Rd, the GHC offers rapid injury assessment and x-ray production, Jansen said.

Another aspect that many OU students might not know about is the availability of women’s health services at GHC.  Breast exams, Pap smear testing and sexually transmitted infection tests are readily available to students.

“We do almost everything that your doctor’s office would do,” Jansen said.

When compared to a nearby hospital or local clinic, one key difference, is the absence of interns in training at the GHC, Jansen said.

“We feel that the students are here to get prompt, high quality, low cost service” Jansen said.

Promoting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a key message the GHC tries to convey daily.

“We do a lot of wellness,” Jansen said, “that’s a big part of it.”

OU Health Sciences Professor Terry Dibble said “moderation is a key concept. We don’t have to run marathons or be vegetarian to be healthy.”

To combat the side effects that come from an unbalanced lifestyle, such as stress, anxiety or depression, “the GHC offers many services that address these dimensions of health,” Dibble said.

The center offers various treatment of common mental health illnesses such as anxiety or depression, by appointment and the Graham Counseling center offers additional counseling services and information.

Those students that are interested in quitting smoking, a cessation package is also available upon request.

“I think the trick is getting college students to understand that the very decisions and choices they make casually each day have short- and long-term consequences,” Associate Health Sciences Professor Dr. Patricia Wren said.

Students can also obtain a vast selection of vaccines from the center to protect themselves in the future that include the HPV or Gardisil vaccine; Meningococcal or meningitis vaccine; Hepatitis B and the Tetanus; or Diphtheria Pertussis, also known as the Tdap vaccine.

The center began distributing all forms of the flu vaccine roughly two weeks ago, Jansen said.

For those interested in receiving an annual flu vaccination, Jansen and the GHC will host a flu clinic this Thursday, Oct. 21 in Vandenberg Hall from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

For more information about GHC, please call (248) 370-2341 or visit www.Oakland.edu/GHC