Classroom clutter becomes a hassle

With more enrollment at Oakland University, does that mean there is less space in classrooms and lecture halls?

Melvin Kucway, a sophomore physics major, is in a chemistry class located in a large lecture hall in Hannah Hall.

“In the beginning of the class, while everyone wanted to show up, about a dozen people a day were standing without a seat,” Kucway said.

“For the first few weeks I ended up skipping class. I decided to not attend the lecture because I could study independently and learn the material online.”

However, after the initial attendance drop, seating became more readily available.

“Sometimes the chatter gets louder than the professor can talk,” Kucway said. “It gets to the point to where he shouts to tell everyone to be quiet.”

Dr. Jennifer Lucarelli, assistant professor of health sciences, said classroom overcrowding has not been an issue in any of her classes.

“It becomes a problem when students want to add into a section of a class when it is already full, and I have to explain to them that if I allow them to add the class, someone will end up sitting on the floor,” Dr. Lucarelli said.

“My best advice to students is to register early so that they can get the schedule that they desire, otherwise, they will have to take whatever classes are open.”

Casey Korzen, a junior majoring in general management, is in Dr. Lucarelli’s health science class in Dodge Hall. She said she  is one of the lucky students who added in at the beginning of the semester.

“There are probably barely enough seats,” Korzen said.

With two-thirds of the class attending regularly, there are currently 93 students enrolled for a 97-seat course, according to Dr. Lucarelli.

Dr. Lucarelli admits that the seats are close together and maneuverability is difficult.

“Oakland is investing in new classrooms,” Dr. Lucarelli said.

“The new Human Health Building will have several large lecture halls, and many smaller classrooms and labs to enhance student learning.”

The 157,300 square foot HHB costing $61,748,100, will house the School of Health Sciences and the School of Nursing, according to Bill Bowerman, chief analyst.

The university states that the new facility will enable the institution to double undergraduate and graduate enrollment.

Early registration can ensure  that students will have a seat.