What employers really want

Hoping to recruit college students, several employers visited Oakland University and Lawrence Tech during the Fall Career Fair and the Tech X 2 Expo and accepted résumés and interviews from interested students.

For recruiters looking to hire, a student’s marketability stretches beyond a well-presented résumé.

Chris Buchanan, a technical recruiter for Computer and Engineering Services, Inc., said he does not focus on looking for résumés, but rather talking to students to find out about their background and what the individual is looking for in a career.

“Unfortunately, there is not a résumé clearing house where all these students can do and learn how to make a super-star resume,” said Buchanan. “We get feedback a lot from our client customers on what they like to see on résumés, so I’m constantly sharing that feedback.”

Buchanan said he constantly works with candidates to improve résumés.

Buchanan said freshmen and sophomores would benefit from learning about how recruiting processes work before senior year, even if they don’t offer a resume to employers at the job fairs. He encourages students to learn about the “hidden job market” as they continue through college.

“I wish Lawrence Tech and OU didn’t have class today so that every single (student) can come,” Buchanan said.

Offering full time employment for sales associates at OU’s Fall Career Fair, Aflac recruiters were pleased with the amount of student interest they received.

“When students take initiative to build a connection, it impresses me and I like to return their hard work with support however possible,” said Miranda Azzam, a college recruiter for Aflac.

Azzam said although every hiring manager has their own criteria, job related experience, a high GPA and chosen academic classes play a role in giving a student an advantage when apply for positions.

Aflac recruiters look for behavioral competencies that parallel with Aflac’s culture and individuals who have a genuine passion to help and serve the company and community. Aflac also encourages students to use classroom projects as a means of learning more about employers and to shadow professionals in their field of interest.

Ryan Kramer, a recruiter for Compuware attending the Tech X 2 expo, stressed the importance of first impressions.

Kramer said a potential employee’s presented confidence level, handshake and attire speak to recruiters before a résumé is handed over.

Kramer said he first asks himself if he can see the individual working in the Compuware field and if they initially present themselves as an employee before an interview is conducted.

To help assist students preparing to apply for employment, OU Career Services offers many workshops and has consultants available for students.

Carol Anne Ketelsen, a career consultant at the Career Services office, works with students to improve their résumés, conduct mock interviews and eventually apply for an internship.

Ketelsen said OUCS works with the Advising Resource Center (ARC) to initially find out what a student excels at in their major. Once a major is declared, students can turn to career advising to bring a broad major down to a specific area.

OUCS offers résumé guides and information on their site, but students can make an appointment with a consultant to sit down and work on making it as professional as possible.

“It’s not an autobiography,” said Ketelsen. “It’s supposed to be a snippet of your life, looking at the most important things.”

Consultants also help students get internships to put on their résumé. OUSC works hand-in-hand with the academic departments to try to get students something in the field — paid or unpaid.

“Not only does an internship help you decide what you want to do, but really what you don’t want to do,” Ketelsen said.

Ketelsen said whether an internship is paid or unpaid, multiple internships and a variety of experience stands out to employers.

OUCS offers mock interviews, where students arrive at a certain time dressed professionally with their resume. Students are asked questions similar to what they may experience in a real interview.

After the interview, consultants will discuss with the student about the positives and offer constructive criticism. Advisors look at attire, non-verbal communication, handshake and eye contact as well as the résumé and quality of answers.

“If somebody doesn’t tell you (that) you spoke too quickly, or you’re wiggling all over the place, or you didn’t have good eye contact… an employer is not going to say, ‘Here’s why I’m not going to hire you,'” said Ketelsen.

OUCS hosts specialized workshops and information sessions. They also bring in companies, including the Peace Corps and BMW, who want to come to campus and talk about the company to build up momentum and get students excited.

Ketelsen said students should focus on getting involved at OU and in the community, in addition to working internships.

“Somebody who’s gotten a 4.0 and has done nothing but school is not near as marketable as somebody who did a 3.5 or a 3.0, got experience (and) was involved on campus and in their community,” said Ketelsen.

Students can call the reception desk to set up an appointment with a career consultant and visit www.oakland.edu/

careerservices for additional information.

The English department is hosting a career fair for English majors on Wednesday, Oct. 13 in Lake Superior B in the Oakland Center. The event runs from 4-5:30 p.m.