Approved funding for Anti-Hate Week, an OUSC update

Oakland University Student Congress discussed ways to improve its customer service and student attendance at meetings during Monday’s weekly OUSC meeting.

“Last week, it was brought to my attention that there were a few students that didn’t feel welcome coming into the Student Congress office, and it was a really big surprise to me,” Student Body Vice President Amy Ring said.

Ring said she believes the time of the year is a factor for low attendance because many OUSC members are focused on exams and are therefore unable to help other students as much as they did in September.

She said she met with the OUSC Executive Board to discuss ways to improve customer service, and a list of the E-Board’s ideas was passed out to every OUSC legislator.

“I wanted to share it with you guys and go over some different (topics) about how we can provide better customer service,” Ring said. “We can’t serve anybody if they don’t feel comfortable coming to talk to us.”

OUSC also discussed ways to improve meeting attendance.

Ideas discussed included hanging up banners in the Oakland Center, offering free food at meetings and meeting personally with students interested in OUSC before the weekly meetings.

OUSC meets every Monday at 4 p.m. in the Oakland Center’s Oakland Rooms.

The student government also unanimously passed two amendments that were discussed at previous meetings.

The first approved amendment was to allocate unused funds from previous Multicultural Affairs events towards funding the upcoming Anti-Hate week that will run from Nov. 15-19.

The second was to allocate $800 from OUSC discretionary funds towards an event at Kresge Library to promote the extended operation hours.

The event will occur Dec. 5-8, and will take place from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. each day. The event hours will be the extended hours of the library during finals week.

“There will be snacks …as well as handouts including pencils and highlighters,” John Ajlouny, OU Student Congress judiciary committee chair, said.