Personas Non-Grata list active to keep students on campus safe

One of the largest clubs at Oakland University always has openings.  It is not looking to add new faces, however, and does not actively recruit. It’s an exclusive club made up of many members — 420 of them, to be exact.

They won’t be present in any classes or in the halls of the Oakland Center.  These particular and disjointed members of the community are not likely to be found on campus, aside from their names on a list in the OU Police Department dispatch office.

The Personas Non-Grata (PNG) list contains former members and guests of the university community who are no longer permitted on campus grounds.

“The PNG list is split into two main groups,” said OUPD Captain Mark Gordon.  “Some of the people on the list aren’t allowed in the dorms, but the majority of them can’t come back (to campus) at all.”

The list was in place long before Gordon arrived at OU.  An individual can remain on the PNG list temporarily or permanently, as the university sees fit.

Some names on the list have been there for decades.  Two non-students were added last week.

Karen Lloyd, assistant dean of students, understands the importance of safety on campus.

“Our office is charged to protect and preserve the campus community,” Lloyd said.

As the first contact concerning a student conduct issue, her office manages the significant task of preserving the welfare of its students.

“We must address when someone’s presence is a detriment to our community,” Lloyd said.

While no specific behavior is required to land an individual on the restricted list, it’s always best to observe the rules of the campus community.  Unsafe or destructive actions are often at the root of the issue.

“If there is a violation of the law or of a serious campus policy, that’s when we see people added to the list,” Gordon said.  “We (the OUPD) take care of the legal aspect of the matter — we enforce the restrictions of the PNG list.”

Lloyd said the PNG status isn’t activated unless it is necessary. She said they take the matter very seriously, as it is an important issue for safety.

Campus policies that are often infringed upon range from drug and weapon possession to disorderly conduct and assault.

The complete list of Oakland’s ordinances and regulations can be found in the student handbook section at www.oakland.edu

The Dean of Students Office handles the procedural portion of the PNG list additions.  A conduct committee evaluates and makes decisions based on an individual’s behavior.

If necessary, the group will decide to add a person to the list.

“Due process — that’s what we follow,” Lloyd said.  “All decisions are made by committee. And if we do make that decision, it’s for the proverbial good of the whole.”

The process of adding a person to the list is often time consuming.

The Rochester 52-3 District Court handles individual cases at OU, according to Gordon.

The offending parties must first be made aware of their newly imposed consequential boundaries. Confirmation must be made that offenders are aware of their restriction before the OUPD can enforce it.

“Once the person is served and we have confirmation, that’s when it becomes enforceable,” Gordon said.

Being enforceable, however, does not guarantee compliance. The PNG list is a useful tool, but it alone cannot facilitate its strict adherence.

This, said Gordon, is when the enforcement needs to take place. Some of the banned individuals choose to ignore the rules and return.

“We still see some people who disregard it,” Gordon said.  “Some of them think they won’t get caught.”

Gordon said the main cause for concern is the safety of the student community.

That importance and desire for safety is shared on campus.

Oakland University junior Matt Kendziuk offered his take on the idea.

“I think it’s important that we have a list like that in place,” Kendziuk said.  “I need to be focused when I’m here.  Students don’t need the added pressure of worrying about safety or security while they’re on campus.”

Senior Justin Murphy reiterated that sentiment.

“It makes sense to keep an eye on things like that,” said Murphy. “It helps everything on campus run more smoothly.”

The efforts of the Dean of Students Office and the OUPD together work to maintain the environment on campus, one that is conducive to a safer, more peaceful community.

“A lot of emphasis is placed on the safety of the community,” Gordon said.  “We can’t jeopardize the safety of a community member.”

That safety is the essential reason for the existence of the PNG list — an idea that Gordon insists is paramount here on campus.