Students vying for Meadow Brook Ball tickets flood the basement of the Oakland Center

A line that wrapped around the basement of the Oakland Center flooded the halls for about four hours today as tickets to this year’s Meadow Brook Ball were on sale at the Center for Student Activities office.

Students interested in purchasing tickets — priced at $12.50 for individuals and $25 for couples — produced a higher turnout than the CSA expected.

“They recalled last year that by the time we opened at 9 (a.m.), the line was maybe to the Bumpers Game Room,” said Jean Ann Miller, CSA director. “This year, it was past the bookstore and wrapped around. The committee did a good job getting the word out.”

Matthew Cross, a junior majoring in computer and electrical engineering, got in line before 8 a.m. and was still not able to get a ticket.

“I was here at 8:15 (a.m.) last year and I was the 20th person in line,” he said. “This year, I was here at 7:55 and I was about the 125th person in line, I counted. This is nuts. I don’t know what’s different about this year than last year.”

Social networking played an important role in promoting this year’s Ball, which is scheduled for Feb. 5, 2011.

“I’ve never been to the dance,” said Dahlia Kamel, a junior majoring in communications. “I just heard about it this year, actually, which is surprising considering it is my third year here.”

Unfortunately for Kamel, she did not get a ticket.

While students waited in line, CSA members went through and counted the amount of tickets that were planning on being purchased while letting those who were out of the count know that there was a good chance they were not going to get the tickets they wanted.

Nick Pichla, a sophomore majoring in information technology, was one of the people that made it through the first few line cuts, but did not end up getting a ticket. Instead, he was put on a brief waiting list CSA collected. The list included the 10 people in line who had just missed the final tickets.

“We took a short waiting list and if somebody comes back and said they couldn’t go, we will make those arrangements so they can work out the ticket situation,” Miller said. “Sometimes you just luck out and find a ticket. Last year, I heard they were on E-Bay, but I don’t know if that was true.”

Many expressed concerns over the line being “unorganized” or “corrupt” because of people cutting in line. Students were allowed to report line jumpers to the CSA office.

“Students had every right to come into the office and say if someone was jumping,” Miller said. “We actually had a situation where someone left and came back to the line and we made them go to the end of the line. We were trying to be very conscientious about making sure that was not happening.”

Compared to last year’s three members, this years Meadow Brook Ball committee consisted of 25 members that were all involved in the promotion of the event.

“I honestly was elated to hear that tickets to the ball sold out so fast,” said Amanda Kochanski, Meadow Brook Ball committee president. “It just means our committee did our job. The whole point of having more (public relations) this year was to reach out to those students who never even knew about the Ball in the past.”

Unlike previous years, 50 additional tickets were allotted for the dance, bringing the total number of tickets available to 350.

“We used to do a Fall Ball and a Winter Ball, but the Fall Ball wasn’t as popular, so we just had one,” Miller said. “If we get feedback and people say we need to put on another ball, then we have to figure out financially how to do that. It’s just a matter of covering our costs and if people want it, we’d definitely consider it. It’s the way it used to be.”

For next year’s tickets sales, CSA has plans to better prepare themselves.

“Next year, maybe we could do what they do when you’re buying your tickets at Ticketmaster for popular events and pass out vouchers or something that gives you a number exactly where you stand in line,” Miller said. “It’s always been sold out though. There hasn’t been a time where we haven’t sold out the Ball.”

The theme for this year’s Ball is “Red Carpet Affair.” Students who are going can look forward to a Photobooth, two character artists, elaborate face painting, the Oakland University Jazz Band, dancing and tours of the mansion.