Board of Trustees votes to rename the University Student Apartments

Photo courtesy of George Preisinger

The Board of Trustees voted unanimously on Thursday to change the name of the University Student Apartments to the Ann V. Nicholson Student Apartments, in honor of her contributions to the university.

“In April of 2001, Ms. Nicholson was instrumental in the development of the University Student Apartments project, serving as board liaison directly to the project and working with the university committee on that project, to design the student apartments to best serve the needs of the students and their associates,” OU President Gary Russi said during the session.

In addition to her involvement with the apartment project, Nicholson served on the Board of Trustees from 1994 to 2002 and was a member of numerous committees.

Throughout the years, Nicholson and her husband have donated to help fund multiple programs at the university including the OU-William Beaumont School of Medicine, Meadow Brook Hall and Kresge Library.

“Naming a component of the university recognizes a donors gift that has transformed the university in such a way and creates a very special tie to that donor to perpetuity,” Russi said.

After the session adjourned there was a short ceremony to uncover the new sign bearing Nicholson’s name outside of the 1000 building of the apartments.

“I can’t tell you how honored I am by this recognition. I certainly wouldn’t have ever expected anything,” Nicholson said in response to the renaming of the student apartments and her involvement in the planning of their development. “I’m so pleased they’ve been successful and I hope that we will have part two coming up before too many years. Thank you so much.”