SAE presents racing car at auto show

Although patrons of the 2011 North American International Auto Show can expect to see concepts from around the world, they will also witness familiar tones of home at this year’s event.  Oakland University will have a feature of its own on display.

The Oakland University Formula SAE team will be on hand each day of the annual Detroit spectacle at Cobo Center.

From Jan. 10-23, SAE members from OU and other representatives from the university will answer questions and provide information to show goers regarding the Grizzlies Racing Team and Oakland University as well.

Each year, OU students find themselves in competition with student groups from all over the world to design and build a formula car.

Throughout the season, students race the cars against one another on autocross courses.

Additionally, testing and safety requirements are also incorporated into the evaluation of an institution’s design.

OU SAE’s 2011 car will be displayed this year along with cars from Michigan State University and Lawrence Technological University.

No entry fees were required for participation because of the group’s non-profit status.

“Money still goes into what we do, but we have to operate on a budget,” said Evan Fischer, second year member and marketing manager for Grizzlies Racing.

Co-President Katy Cunningham emphasized the amount of work required to be successful.

“We’re run as a full company,” Cunningham said.  “It took a lot of organization to get this together and to do it well.”

OU SAE members didn’t have the luxury of time to waste when preparing for the event this year.

According to members, the group was unaware of the opportunity to participate until just before Christmas.  Even with a shortage of prep time, the display continues to draw viewers daily at the Detroit show’s halfway point.

Oakland’s involvement in the auto show and its SAE competition car stand to showcase the technical programs available at the university.

Fischer understands that prospective students are mixed in with the auto show crowds.

“It’s definitely exciting for us,” Fischer said. “It’s boosting our recognition as a university as well when you suddenly see Oakland in competition with other tech schools.  It’s good for us (Grizzlies Racing Team) and it’s good for the school.”

The OU SAE’s emergence into a more public forum this year helps show more of what Oakland has to offer students.  One of Oakland’s oldest student organizations, it is one of many extra-curriculars offered to students.

“There’s a lot of opportunity here,” Cunningham said.

The OU SAE exhibit could affect students looking for schools to attend.  Companies and individuals looking for interns or employees can also use the auto show opportunity to find candidates for those openings.

OU senior Mike Dudek stopped at the display Sunday night to see Oakland’s contribution to the massive event.

“I was really surprised to see Oakland down here, actually,” Dudek said.  “I think it’s great though.  It’s exposure for the university that I wasn’t expecting to see from (OU).”

The students behind the design of the exhibit, like the car, are committed to producing a superb design.

“If what we’re doing here looks dumb,” Cunningham said, “then there’s no point in being here.”

The last day to see the OU display and the 2011 car is Jan. 23.

More information on the Grizzlies Racing Team can be found at

www.grizzliesracing.com

Auto show dates and times are listed at www.naias.com