Students prepare for Day of Service

Oakland University is getting ready to participate in the annual MLK Day of Service.

Saturday, Jan. 22 from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., students will be volunteering in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at Pontiac High School doing various activities around the school including organizing storage rooms so supplies can be better utilized by the school’s staff.

“At this point we are planning to volunteer with high school students from Pontiac High School … As the school strives to be financially responsible, volunteers are needed to help with the well being and upkeep of Pontiac High School,” said Tiffany Sims, Americorps VISTA for the Center for Student Activities.

Junior Amanda Kmetz attended last year’s MLK Day at Grace Centers of Hope, and is looking forward to volunteering again this year.

“I just like volunteering and helping others … I’ve been doing community service through my churches basically my whole life. I really enjoy helping others,” Kmetz said. “It’s about serving others and taking the initiative to do better. Make the world a better place.”

Oakland University teamed up with the United Way, as well as the Student United Way student organization on campus and Oakland Community College to help complete the project.

Students from other colleges and universities in southeast Michigan will also be volunteering throughout the week that honors Dr. King.

“Last year we partnered with United Way of Southeast Michigan to secure these projects and work out the logistics of the day. The partnership with United Way is truly valuable and exciting and allows us to coordinate our service projects,” Sims said.

MLK Day is a part of Oakland University’s African American Celebration Month.

As a part of MLK Day last year, students participated in a service project at Grace Centers of Hope and an on-campus service project of sorting supplies for Arts and Scraps.

“I think Dr. King would be proud to know his day is a day dedicated to service. We incorporate reflection into the day of service because it helps remind students that the work they are doing contributes to the larger picture and impacts the community as a whole,” Sims said.

All students are encouraged to attend the MLK Day of Service. Students can register for the event at www.oakland.edu/volunteer, but walk-ins are also welcome. The bear bus will be taking students to Pontiac High School.

“I would love to have a variety of students attend this project … this is a great opportunity for students to get engaged in service at OU. For students who are interested in getting more involved with the wonderful service initiatives at Oakland University, I would encourage them to e-mail me, call me or stop by the Leadership and Volunteer Center,” Sims said.