Student Congress welcomes new legislative affairs director

Oakland Univeristy’s Student Congress met for the first time in the winter semester on Monday afternoon. Items on the agenda included approval of new committee members, statements of student concern and the Student Association of Michigan conference.

New legislative affairs director

Ben Eveslage was approved as the new legislative affairs director, replacing Nessma Bashi who resigned in December.

Eveslage said he plans to hold several events including “Law and H’Orderves” and an OU Day at the Capitol in March.

“Law & H’Orderves” is scheduled to take place on Jan. 22 from 12-1 p.m. in the Fireside Lounge. Event attendees will learn about their rights as young adults and students, and free food will be provided.

Student body vice president Amy Ring said Eveslage has already adapted to the job well.

“He’s been very detail-oriented about everything,” Ring said. “We’re very happy with his performance thus far.”

Student Program Board Committee Members

Tyanna Moore was approved as the associate chair of the Student Program Board.

“The associate chair position is responsible for preparing and getting everything ready for all of the events that Student Program Board will be putting on this semester and next semester,” Moore said.

Kate Rozek, a junior communications major, was approved as mainstage chair.

“My biggest job so far is putting on an April concert at OU and doing entertainment stuff for the next year,” Rozek said.

Current OUSC legislator Nick McCormick, a junior communications and cinema studies major, was approved as special events chair.

“This is my third year in Congress, and I kind of always had in interest in Student Program Board, but I just never really had the time to do it,” McCormick said. “I’ve always kind of had an interest in event planning and I’ve had experience with planning events through my fraternity, Tau Kappa Epsilon. I’ve already pretty much completed the main trip that we’re going to be doing this semester, Walt Disney World, which sold out as it opened.”

Other appointments included Alejandro Herrera as public relations chair, Max VanRaaphorst as campus connections chair, Jasmine Moseley as annual events chair, Yasmine Shitta as golden events chair and Jibron Ahmed as diversity chair.

Statements of Student Concern

Student services director Brett McIsaac followed up on two statements of student concern from last semester.

“(OUSC legislator Louie) Alkasmikha voiced a concern before break about there not being a blue light in P-35 and P-37, the two far lots down Library Drive,” McIsaac said. “I contacted OUPD regarding the issue and the response I got was they just went through and upgraded all the blue light systems, and right now there aren’t any plans to purchase and install new ones, but they’ll keep it as an idea and think about it for the future.”

“I really think it’s a good idea to get one down there because if there was an emergency down there, it would be quite a hike to the nearest one, so I’ll keep pushing them on that.”

Student Association of Michigan conference

Student body president Brandon Gustafson said Oakland hosted a conference for the Student Association of Michigan the previous weekend.

“It went really well, “Gustafson said. “We had 13 of the 15 public universities here and the largest turnout was about 55 people.”

OUSC’s next meeting is scheduled for Jan. 24 at 4 p.m. in the Oakland Center’s banquet room.