Grizz Express to convert into ‘grab-n-go convenience store’

Students walking through the Oakland Center may have noticed the empty-windowed room across from the cafeteria.

This space was formerly known as the Grizz Express.

“The Grizz Express was an annex to the university bookstore,” said Richard Fekel, director of the Oakland Center.  “It carried school supplies, gum and candy, and various apparel items. With the bookstore on the lower level, Barnes & Noble desired a presence on the first floor.”

Barnes & Noble decided to focus its efforts on their main store and closed the Grizz Express on Oct. 31. The space was turned over to the Oakland Center. Late last summer the Oakland Center began discussions about the best use for the space.

“Because the food court is so busy at peak times we intend to create a grab-n-go convenience store,” Fekel said.  “The store will carry popular foods and beverages. We want to carry a few items students have been asking for …  (like) frozen slush drinks, hot dogs and specialty ice cream.”

The new Grizz Express is expected to open after winter break.  Construction is underway.

“University skilled trades are doing the work,” Fekel said. “The space requires plumbing, counters and storage, electrical work and new flooring.  Once we get that completed we will install equipment and begin to stock the space.”

The purpose of this new addition to the Oakland Center is to offer more convenience to OU students.

“I hope the new space meets student needs for convenient and quick food offerings,” Fekel said. “Grizz Express hours of operation have not been finalized but we intend to open late morning and operate until 10 p.m.  That way we provide new food options in the building once the food court closes down for the evening.  I think that will be a great service to Oakland Center users.”

Since the Grizz Express will be open later than the cafeteria, it will provide more convenience to students with late classes as well.

“I think the new Grizz Express will be a great asset, particularly to our evening users of the Oakland Center,” Fekel said.