VP candidates debate Greek life, parking

Oakland University Student Congress vice presidential hopefuls squared off Friday in the Fireside Lounge from 12-1 p.m. during the vice presidential debate.

About 20 students gathered in the Fireside Lounge for food and politics as each candidate discussed their campaign promises and plans. Christine Stover, communications instructor and faculty adviser for WXOU, moderated the debate.

In addition to all four vice presidential candidates, all of the presidential candidates were in attendance with the exception of Benjamin Eveslage, who was in Washington, D.C. for OU Day at the Capitol.

Questions were submitted by the audience as well as the moderator, and asked candidates to introduce their platform, touch on their initiatives for OU, insights to issues like parking and visible changes they would like to see made to campus.

Each candidate referenced to their platform and each spoke of changes they would initiate as student body vice president.

Elisa Malile spoke of improvement to the public relations efforts on campus, Ryan Rott spoke of a more united student body, Brett McIssac spoke of local advertising and Eric Sturgis mentioned increased funding for student organizations.

The candidates were also asked to address concerns of integrating OU into surrounding communities more as well as their plans to help Greek life on campus. Five of the eight candidates running have Greek affiliation.

Rott, who is a member of Sigma Pi, said he would like to see an increase of Greek involvement on campus. Malile, who is a member of Phi Sigma Sigma, would like to see an expansion of Greek life through increased recruitment and events on Greek row. McIsaac, who is a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon, spoke of incorporating more Greek students into OUSC as well as coordinating events with Greek organizations. Sturgis said he would like to see more Greek representation in OUSC as well as collaborations with Greek organizations for campus events.

Candidates were also asked to explain the role of student body vice president, sacrifices they would have to make as a result of being elected vice president and the importance of diversity.

The presidential debate will be held Wednesday, March 23 in the Fireside Lounge from 12-1 p.m. Voting will run from March 28-30.