Students gather at the capitol

The 14th annual OU Day At The Capitol took place Tuesday March 18. This event is hosted every year to provide an easy way for Oakland University students, faculty, and staff to travel to Lansing (the Capitol Building) and meet with their state representatives to express their concerns.

“Concerns this year are greatly influenced by the higher education budget crisis and the implications for Oakland University,” legislative affairs director of OUSC Benjamin Eveslage said.

Activities available to participants were: attending meetings with elected officials, attending committee meetings, observing the state Senate and House in session and lunch in the Capitol with House and Senate members. Tours of the Capitol, Supreme Court learning center and Michigan historical museum were also available.

“We sat in on a House meeting and a Senate meeting,” freshman Andrew Mandley said. “It was really interesting seeing the different houses meet. It was interesting getting to see it all.”

Seeing the Capitol and the government officials  was also a part of the event.

“We met Governor Snyder and got to walk around the Capitol,” freshman Michelle Contos said.

In past years, this event has hosted 30-60 people. This year more than 100 people attended.

“This is a large group for OU and we are very proud to have such a large representation in Lansing,” Eveslage said. “I actually think this is an all-time record, but I am not sure about that yet.”

OU day at the capital was sponsored by OUSC, OU Government Relations, and the political science department.  No expenses were necessary for attendees.

“OU Day at the Capitol is the largest and most politically influential event of the year.” Eveslage said. “It is meant to give the opportunity for students to express themselves to the influential people in politics and stress the importance of higher education.”

Everslage said bringing attention to the state’s universities is extremely important in regards to the state’s struggling economy.

“Michigan is already one of the lowest states in higher education appropriations from the state with a proposed 15% cut of funds,” Eveslage said.  “All of these cuts mean tuition will increase dramatically and on campus, departments will also receive less funding, so we are looking at a very expensive future for university students in Michigan.”

Eveslage said the goal of OU Day at the Capitol is to show government officials University funding cuts will do more harm for the state than good.

“With our group going to Lansing we will represent the population that would be adversely affected by the higher education cuts,” Eveslage said. “But in truth we are saying that our colleges and universities make Michigan economically competitive and that is what we need now.”

While the intent of the event was positive, Mandley believed the schedule should have been clearer for participants.

“It was really loosely scheduled and the itinerary was a little confusing,” he said. “I would go again if it was planned a little better.”