Students honored with Wilson Awards

During their time on campus, many students spend their free time participating in activities they love to do. When one is recognized for their achievements, it takes the love for those experiences to the next level.

Established in 1965, the Wilson Awards recognize graduating seniors — one male and one female — who have contributed as scholars and leaders to the Oakland University community.

The winners for the 2010-2011 school year are Marta Bauer, majoring in English with a French literature minor, and Stephen Parker, a mechanical engineering major with a focus on fluid and thermal systems.

Receivers of the award showed outstanding contributions to Oakland as student and a leader.

Both Bauer and Parker were surprised to receive the award and admit Karen Lloyd, assistant dean of students, initially tricked them into believing they did not receive it.

Bauer said she was at work when Lloyd called to tell her there was a problem with her application and requested that Bauer come in to discuss it. She assumed it was a silly mistake that caused her to miss the opportunity for the award, but when she arrived at the office, Lloyd gave her the news.

“She was very sneaky about it, and I was laughing so hard because I was freaking out about it,” said Bauer. “To hear that I had gotten it was such a relief.  It was actually a really cool way to find out.”

Parker shared a similar experience. Via a phone conversation, Lloyd said if he had called back two minutes earlier, he would have been the recipient. Parker said he was fortunate to only have been deceived for a short time.

Bauer and Parker will both be officially recognized for their achievement at the board of trustees meeting on March 30. They are also invited to a dinner with President Gary Russi, Professor Moudgil and Mary Beth Snyder in April. They will also receive the Wilson Award Bronze Medallion.

Gathering a recommendation from an English professor, her boss and the vice president of international relations, Bauer had high hopes that she would be the recipient of the prestigious award.

“I think what really set me apart was the fact that Oakland has given me a lot — not only in terms on monetary aid, but in terms of what it’s done for what I can do, who I am, the types of things I’m involved with and the connections I’ve made,” she said. “Leadership has never been for what I can put on a resume, but how I can I pay back the university for everything it has done for me.”

Bauer participated in the Honors College, Career Services, orientation and new student programs, housing and welcome receptions, just to name a few. She contributes her interaction with the OU community to the fact that she wanted to meet a lot of people and be involved with many of the groups on campus.

“As far as community involvement goes, I think OU is a place that can really do a lot for people is they are open to the options that are here,” Bauer said.

After working as an orientation group leader, which Bauer calls her “gateway leadership position,” she launched into several leadership positions her junior year and continues to in her last semester.

Setting high standards for self academically, Bauer admits she was often the girl to be down about a receiving a 3.8 GPA on an assignment. Knowing she was capable of getting 3.9 or a 4.0, she was determined to set a high bar in her first two years.

“I think being that disciplined for a while was good coming into college because I think it’s easier to start off really focused and to be really committed,” she said. “As you shift from academics to leadership, you are more able to handle that transition without slipping academically.”

Parker said that one could get a feel for his achievements and why he deserved the award based on the contents of his resume.

“The piece you don’t get out of it, though, is the passion, which is what I think really brought it full circle.”

Parker said there were some things he did not include on his resume that also contributed strongly to his development on campus — most importantly, the person he has become.

Parker has worked with SAE for over three years and helped change the organization completely, growing from to 9 members in 2008 to 40 this year.

Responsible for bringing a business orientation to the society after they went through a change in leadership, Parker said SAE is where he flourished and continued developing his interest in delegating and bringing people together for a common goal.

“As a leader, you have the ability to be infectious and get people involved with things that they might want to get involved with but they’re not sure how to give them a role or define the piece of the pie that they can be responsible for.”

Parker was involved with the Residence Hall Council, a member of Honors College as Cell Group Leader and the supplemental instruction leader for Nursing Chemistry, for which he was awarded the SI Leader of the Year award.

Parker said he experienced hardships in his career but did not falter in his academic endeavors. Working 20 hours and week and even holding two jobs at one point, he said he became a creature of habit and learned how to balance the load.

Parker said another obstacle for him was being an engineer in the Honors College. He said it is considered a rare combination since both are very demanding and difficult to get through in four years. Parker said he considers it an accomplishment to have finished while getting additional experience with SAE.

Parker says he hopes he has left his mark at OU, but doesn’t feel like he is finished just yet.

“I don’t intend to stop here,” he said. “There are so many things I wanted to do while I was here that I never got to do. I’m either going to have to take classes or get ridiculously involved with the Alumni Association. I think it’s probably going to be both.”

Bauer and Parker were required to participate in an interview, where they would describe their leadership, scholarly and community involvement. Both said the interview was really fast, but a particular question sticks out in both of their minds.

‘If you could return to OU for another year, what would you spend time doing?’ This may be a perplexing question for some, but both Parker and Bauer knew just what they would do.

Parker said he is interested in taking business-oriented classes and plans to return for an MBA. Public speaking also tops his list, since he feels he has the confidence to speak publicly, but doesn’t feel like he has the skill set to do so to the best of his ability.

Bauer said she would continue involvement with AC100, a group she has been with for three years and helped initiate a lot of growth. She says she likes working with it, because it has become somewhat of her “baby,” and she wants it to succeed. She said she would also take language classes and an anthropology course.

Bauer and Parker both expressed great gratitude for being the recipients of the Award and honored to be recognized for the things they loved to do.

Bauer, who will work in a University-based career, says that the Wilson Award will help show potential employers that she takes the cake when vying for a position with several other student leaders.

“I think a Wilson Award … especially in student affairs, it helps set you apart,” Bauer said. “You’re not just a student leader. You are the student leader.”

The piece Parker is taking away from the award is not for himself. He said he wants to show that students should at consider getting involved with things in ways other than the typical direction.

“I can’t tell you how great it feels to be honored for things I’ve done,” Parker said, “but it’s one of those things to say, ‘Hey, this kid did something while he was here. Go do something while you’re here.'”