‘OU Can Tri’ second annual triathlon

For Oakland students looking for a challenge, the recreation center is offering another way to get fit and have something to show for it.

The second annual “OU Can Tri” triathlon will be held on Sunday, March 20. Each participant has his or her own designated time to do a 10-minute swim or water walk, a 20-minute bike ride and 15-minute walk or run in OU’s aquatics center and machine room.

The male and female participant with the most covered distance will win a medal. Although the rec center was pleased with a 32 participant turn out in their first year, Leah Dupuie, the graduate assistant for wellness and group exercise at the rec center, said their goal this year is 50 participants.

“There is no better feeling than competing in and finishing a race,” Dupuie said.  “An indoor triathlon is great because it not only tests your aerobic endurance while running, but also while cycling and swimming under controlled conditions.”

All students, faculty and members of the outside community are invited to participate. No try-outs are necessary.

Dupuie said the idea of the indoor triathlon was developed to give students the opportunity to enter an event they might not have otherwise considered participating in. She said the familiarity of the rec center might empower participants to give it a try.

“Since the Recreation Center is open for all students to use, we had hoped more students might consider participating in a triathlon if they were familiar with the environment,” she said.

While individuals may consider themselves strong in one leg of the competition, teams are also welcome to sign up to compete.

“We want everyone to be able to say they have participated in a triathlon,” Dupuie said. “Whether in one, two or all three of the events, it is an accomplishment to compete in and finish any race.”

Jennifer Hite, a senior majoring in wellness health promotion and injury prevention, is returning for her second year of participation in the triathlon. She said she enjoyed 2010’s triathlon and felt it was organized with a friendly staff.

“Last year’s first triathlon was a success,” Hite said. “I hope this year the event grows, and I’m in hopes that it will be a continuous event.”

She plans to graduate in April, and expresses interest in participating after she graduates.

“I think that they should offer a discounts to alumni that would like to participate,” Hite said. “I will soon be an alumni and would love to participate in it next year.”

Cost for individual registration is $25 for students and non-student members and $40 for non-members. Team registration is $45 for student and non-student members and $60 for non-members.

Those interested in participating can register at the Welcome Center by March 13.