Not for Sale event leaves standing-room only

According to the International Justice Mission, the trafficking of humans is a $12 billion industry worldwide.

Students were educated on the global sex trafficking industry, including statistic likes this, on Tuesday Feb. 15 at the Not For Sale Event sponsored by Oakland University Student Congress, the Political Science Honor Society and the Center for International Programs.

By the time the event began, only standing room remained in the room.

Featured speakers for the event were Katrina Kubicek of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles/California State University and Rosemarie Luttenberger and Dessislava Terzieva from OU’s Model United Nations club.

The event focused on educating students on the global sex trafficking industry and what they can do to help. Students were even encouraged to address a petition to President Obama. Oakland University is responsible for completion of 1/125th of the entire national petition.

The discussion focused on a number of different issues in sex trafficking, including the extent of the problem, how much money can be made from sex trafficking, where it is centralized and different kinds of human trafficking.

“Although slavery is now illegal, there is actually more slaves on earth now than there have ever been before. It’s a problem that has not gone away and it’s a problem that is becoming worse and worse as time goes on because we are uncovering more and more about it,” Kubicek said.

She also talked to students about efforts that are being made to help stop human sex trafficking and what is being done to help raise awareness about the issue.

“Human trafficking is now the second largest form of illegal dealing in the world, right behind arms. It’s larger then drugs, but it certainly doesn’t get the attention that drug trafficking does,” Kubicek said.

Terzieva is a member of the Human Rights Committee in the Model UN program. She spoke to students about the issue of sex trafficking in Bulgaria, the country she represents for the club and is a native of.

“I originally chose the Human Rights Committee because of my interest in, and prior knowledge on, the Roma (people) … I had not known much about the latter prior to taking this course, but the further I got into my research, the more educated and interested I became on the topic,” Terzieva said.

Terzieva and Luttenberger are the only two Model UN members focusing on sex trafficking this semester, and speaking at the Not For Sale event was their first step towards an effort to raise awareness.

Luttenberger represented Thailand and Terizeva represented Bulgaria, and both spoke about sex tourism in these nations.

“I personally think all students should be aware of this issue. The fact that we live in a destination country gives us a false sense of safety, as well as a distorted perception of reality … For us, raising awareness is the most feasible way to help, whether it be by calling your State representative, signing a petition, using social media to spread the word or simply telling your friend/peers,” Terizeva said.

Organizations on campus like Gamma Phi Beta support organizations like the University of Michigan Law School Human Trafficking Clinic and the International Justice Mission.

“Gamma Phi Beta’s philanthropic mission is to advocate for women and promote environmental resources that help build spiritual, mental and social resilience. We are really excited to support organizations…in hopes that one day we’ll be able to abolish slavery and create an environment where every woman will be given a chance to thrive,” said Emily Allen, philanthropy chair for Gamma Phi Beta.

To learn more about the International Justice Mission and its work to end human trafficking, visit ijm.org