Eveslage/Malile win OUSC presidential election

Meet your new student body president and vice president for 2011-12 school year, Benjamin Eveslage and Elisa Malile.

The top two tickets were separated by a mere 190 votes. Runners up Tom Cruz and Brett McIsaac received 705 votes while Eveslage and Malile received 895 votes.

“I’m surprised how close the top two were. I wish them the best of luck and I’ll be applying for their executive board,” McIsaac said.

Tyler Glenn and Ryan Rott received 318 votes with Shakita Billy and Eric Sturgis receiving 284 votes.

This election marked the second highest number of votes cast in an OUSC election. There were 2,250 votes cast. Last year’s election of Brandon Gustafson and Amy Ring marked the highest voter turnout in OU’s history.

“We put so much hard work into this and we put so much time in … and it paid off. This is such a huge relief,” Eveslage said. “I don’t think I ever seen a campaign of OU that has had so many people that are motivated just like we are. The most I can do is thank them.”

The winners were announced in Pioneer Food Court at noon.

Fighting back tears, Eveslage and Malile made their way to the stage to thank the students, their campaign team and many others.

“It’s indescribable the feeling that I’m feeling right now. I guess it’s just a flashback to all the hard work, dedication and our campaign team and to all those days when we were pushing and pushing. It’s just a dynamic feeling that I can never explain, just an overwhelming feeling of happiness. It’s just astounding,” Malile said.

Gustafson and Ring, current student body president and vice president, were also in attendance to welcome the new administration.

“I think we had a really good year and I think we kind of laid the base down for the next administration to build off of. Of all the tickets that were running, everyone had really good platforms so I was feeling pretty confident with any administration that was coming in, but I think Ben and Elisa will do a really good job. I’m excited,” Gustafson said.

In addition to the announcement of the new president and vice president, the results on proposal one were also announced.

Proposal one passed and will increase the student activities fee, which every student pays, from $25 to $30. The proposal received 1,064 “no” votes and 1,121 “yes” votes.

“Now that elections are over, I am thrilled that the proposal passed. I think it will create a lot more funding for student organizations and provide more opportunity for students on campus and create more involvement on campus. Oakland University is behind on student activity funding compared to other universities, so I think it’s time we caught up,” elections commissioner Christina Quigley said.

Eveslage and Malile are both strong supporters of proposal one, and were pleased to see that it passed.

“I am so happy that it passed. It allows the student organizations to have that flexibility to be able to use the extra money to allow that all of their programs are that much better,” Eveslage said.

The OUSC legislators were also announced. There were 25 open positions for OUSC legislators this year.

James Kaminski, Nick McCormick, Amber Taschereau, Wesley Gamble and Alejandro Herrera are just some of the newly elected legislators.

As their first order of business as student body president and vice president, Eveslage and Malile say they would like to get to work on their platform promises.

“We definitely want to get going on our platform. We want to get out, meet the students and see what more they want to do,” Malile said.