Greek life continues to expand

Greek organizations at Oakland University kicked off the last week of classes for the semester on Monday with a carnival for their third annual Greek Week. The events mark the end of another year of growth for Greek life on campus.

According to Jean Ann Miller, director of the Center for Student Activities, there are currently 332 students involved in all Greek chapters on campus as of the Fall semester. Although that is less than the 336 from the year before, the Greek system continues to grow through the addition of new chapters and more activities than previous years.

“This past year has been great,” said Tom Cruz, founder of the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity on campus. “We got our charter to become an official chapter instead of a colony. Last year in May was our officially chartering ceremony. Since then we’ve just been trying to put on events and make ourselves more known in the Greek community here.”

Hannah Smith, president of the Greek Council and scholarship chair of Alpha Delta Pi, works to bring the different organizations together through different events and activities.

“Right now, Greek Week is focusing on unifying and uniting everyone so that it’s not just individual organizations, because there’s no way that any of us can grow individually unless we all support each other and grow as a group,” Smith said.

She emphasized that Greek life can be for everyone and that they are not as selective as they might seem.

“You have everyone across the board — a variety of religions, majors, family backgrounds, people who are paying for college in the sorority on their own and then the people who can have their parents pay for it,” Smith said.

She said that participating in Greek organizations allows commuter students to become more involved on campus.

“It’s making things a little bit more entertaining here on campus,” Smith said. “I come to campus for other events, not just Greek events. I’m more likely to come to athletic events just because it makes you want to be involved at Oakland, which is really nice.

Tyler Glen, president of Sigma Pi, urges students to look into Greek organization, even if they don’t think it’s right for them.

“Even if you are hesitant, just come out to the events and get to know the members,” Glen said. “You would be surprised as to how many kids swear they would never go Greek, but in the end make friendships with the members and eventually join.”

Greek Week activities continue on Wednesday with a dance-off in the Pioneer Food Court at 8:30 p.m. and a pre-concert tailgate at 7 p.m. on Thursday. For more information, visit oakland.edu/gogreek