Anton/Frankel Center to offer classes for OU students in Macomb

Located in the heart of downtown Mt. Clemens, the Anton/Frankel Center is OU’s latest addition that will offer classes in several fields beginning this fall.

Built in 1984, the former office building has 25,422 square feet and two stories. It was was donated to OU by Macomb County investors named Gebran Anton and Stuart Frankel.

According to Betty Youngblood, executive in residence at OU-Macomb, the building was given to OU last summer, and it will be the first building there that OU actually owns.

“It was a very generous contribution for them to make. It’s going to give Oakland the opportunity to do some real special things in expanding our offerings in Macomb County,” Youngblood said.

Since it was gifted to OU, the building has been under construction making offices into classrooms.

“The building at the current time is being renovated – the inside of the building. That will be finished in just a few months now, (it will) be ready for the fall,” Youngblood said.

There will be 14 classrooms that range in size. Most of them will be suited for smaller classes.

“Classes will be relatively small in this facility, and, you know, we’re starting out offering a variety of classes in different areas, and then on in the future we will be looking at some other possibilities,” Youngblood said.

David Dulio, an associate professor and chair of the political science department, will be teaching at the Anton/Frankel Center this fall. He has seen the building, even though it’s still under construction.

Dulio said: “I couldn’t go in because of the construction, but there was a lot of work underway.  It appears as if the whole interior has been gutted and everything will be brand new. I have also seen the plans for the space and it looks great.”

By teaching in Mt. Clemens, Dulio hopes to set an example for his colleagues.

“I also want to show other faculty what the experience is like; if I teach a course out there and report that it’s a good experience, others will hopefully follow,” Dulio said.

The goal of having a Macomb campus is convenience for students that live or work in Macomb County.

Dulio said the location will provide some financial relief for students who live close by and want to save on gas. The location will also be helpful for students interested in pursuing a career in government.

“From an educational perspective in political science, the AFC is very close to city hall and the courthouse, which will provide a lot of opportunities for internships,” Dulio said.

The classes being offered at the new facility this fall will mostly be from the College of Arts and Sciences, but there will also be offerings in other areas such as business, music and theater. The classes will be offered at varying times throughout the day.

“We’re going to have classes during the day, and we’re going to have classes during the evening,” Youngblood said. “We’ll have to see if the demand is greater for day classes or evening classes.”

According to Youngblood, in the future they will also be providing various student services and community outreach in Mt. Clemens.

Students can now register for the fall classes at the Anton/Frankel Center online at sail.oakland.edu