Students explore career workshops

Career Services and the Advising Resource Center sponsored Careers Get Personal on Thursday, April 7 in the Oakland Center.

The workshop focused on helping students find careers that are tailored to their personality traits.

Prior to the workshop, participants took an online assessment, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test  used to measure an individual’s personality type.  The results, which display personal strengths and weaknesses, were given at the workshop. Career Services and the Advising Resource Center uses the MBTI to help students navigate their career searches.

Jenna Barnes, a French and Japanese double major, said the results from her MBTI test were surprising.

“Some of the careers that cropped up on my list surprised me, but a lot confirmed what I already knew about my personality,” Barnes said.

Carol Anne Ketelsen, a career consultant in the Career Services office said the MBTI test can help a person determine what type of career they would do best in.

“It is important to know your work environment and your task,” Ketelsen said.

She said that it is important to ensure that a job placement is a good fit for both parties, the employee and the employer.

“It’s not all about the employer, it’s also about you, too,” Ketelsen said.

Lindsay Zeig, a career and academic adviser from the Advising Resource Center recommends that students utilize the resources available to OU students.

Career Services and the Advising Resource Center both have tools to help students navigate from life as a student to life as a professional.

For those who are undecided or who want to reexamine their major selection, the Advising Resource Center offers academic advising and career counseling.  ARC has one-on-one counseling and career and major exploration workshops for current OU students. Career Services works with students who have already selected their majors as well as OU alumni.  They help individuals determine what they want to accomplish with their degrees.

Mock interviews, résumé development and listings of on and off campus jobs are a few of the many services offered.

Career Services can also help students find summer jobs and internships.

For those individuals who are still looking for summer jobs, Ketelsen advises that students keep looking.

“We’ll see even companies come in June and say we have got the money and we want to hire someone for June, July and August. You want to not give up hope and keep looking,” Ketelsen said.

For more information about the Advising Resource Center, visit their website at www.oakland.edu/arc.  To check out OU’s Career Link or discover more about Career Services, visit their website at

www.oakland.edu/careerservices