Board of trustees recognizes GSC, O’Dowd renovations

The Gender and Sexuality Center’s President Alexa Van Vilet stood before the Oakland University board of trustees at their meeting today in Elliot hall to petition for a fully-staffed center.

Van Vilet spoke on behalf of the LGBTIQ and the GSA, mentioning that the center provides a safe place for the LGBTIQ community as well as students affected by domestic abuse and violence.

Currently, the center employs a part-time coordinator, working 20 hours a week. According to Van Vilet, the full-time coordinator will be in charge of programming, referrals and advocacy as well as the peer-mentor program and will work as part of the advisory board to establish relationships with resources on and off campus.

While many universities have separate offices for the women’s center and GSA, Oakland operates with the two combined in one room. Van Vilet said Oakland deserves to be competitive in that manner and her goals include expanding the GSA’s presence on campus.

According to Van Vilet, the coordinator position requires a bachelor’s degree and other related skills.

Trustees Richard Flynn and Jacqueline Long commented that although they are in support the idea, the board members need an official recommendation and budget for the current cost and expansion of the facility.

The board also attended to several other items on the agenda, which included passing the appointment of the Dean of Kresge Library, Adriene Lim.

Introduced by Virinder Moudgil, Lim graduated from Wayne State University with a bachelor degree of Fine Arts. She previously worked at Portland State University as librarian and administrator.

The board unanimously welcomed her to Oakland’s family.

Terry Stollsteimer presented plans to redesign O’Dowd hall. The curtain wall currently installed on the building, which was built in 1980, had a 25-year longevity. 31 years later, the building suffers from incurred window leaks.

Stollsteimer presented two options for the physical appearance of the building. According to Stollsteimer, the second option, which calls for fewer windows, is both more efficient and cost effective in terms of an energy standpoint.

Trustee Long said the second option is “cohesive” and “looks like the rest of the campus.”

Construction is expected to begin in the summer of 2012 and may take up to twelve months to complete. Stollsteimer said they hope to accomplish a significant amount during the summer months to avoid inconveniencing staff.

The curtain wall is expected to cost $5 million.

Trustee Henry Baskin said that he does not want the construction workers for O’Dowd to take up student parking spots surrounding the building. He advised that they park off-site in a farther lot and take a shuttle.

Faculty offices will be relocated within the building while construction is underway.

A retirement program within Oakland was announced. Treasurer John Beaghan said many faculty members are interested in the program.

Beaghan also said revenue bonds were paid off as well as the lease for the golf course. He also noted that construction throughout the University continues within budget. Three projects are closed, each completed under budget.

In October, schematics for the Engineering center and the proposed financing will be brought before the board. Trustee Baskin requested that information be available to the board before that meeting, which takes place on Oct. 31.

– Managing Content Editor Nichole Seguin contributed to this report