OUSC Meeting Brief

Oakland University Student Congress met yesterday in the Oakland Center for their weekly meeting.

New and old business was discussed. Proposed bills, like CB-05 (to add funding to office supplies) and CB12-06 (to amend funding for the Midnight Madness event) were passed.

The legislation also voted and approved bill CB12-05, which will allocate funding from delayed projects to projects with more prominence, like the OU cell phone application and political workshop.

The legislation also proposed bills that will be voted on next week’s OUSC meeting.

Among those is a bill which will altar SAFB funding to on-campus student organizations. The bill was proposed and had its first reading at the meeting.

The bill was proposed so all student organizations will have equal Student Activity Funding Board funding. If approved, the bill states that no adult toys are to be purchased with the funding; purchases must be made through a department, rather than a student organization; and a professional who obtains a master’s degree must be hosting the event, in an effort to ensure the qualification of the individual.

If approved, this bill will directly affect the Gay Straight Alliance, which often hosts safe sex seminars that require the purchase of adult material.

Legislator Jason Dunn was proposed and approved to the Scholarship Committee Chair, and legislator Michelle Alwardt was announced as OUSC legislator of the month.

The Student Program Board is continuing work on the OU’s Got Talent, talent show. Auditions are completed and a report is yet to be written and circulated.

SAFB is looking for new board members and the Greek council is finishing up their formal recruitments.