Vegan class merits award

Oakland University was awarded a Compassionate Campus Award for a course called “A Lifestyle Change To Improve Health: The Vegan Diet” offered in the School of Nursing. The award comes from peta2, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animal’s (PETA) youth division.

Adjunct professor of nursing, Marilyn Mouradjian was told that she won the award through an e-mail from the PETA, right after she began teaching the course. She was presented with the award Tuesday by School of Nursing Dean, Kerri Shuiling.

“It’s so nice to be recognized, especially when you feel like the course you’re teaching is both beneficial to humans and animals,” Mouradjian said.

Participants in the course learn about the many health benefits of a vegan diet — including weight loss, higher energy levels, better health and lower susceptibility to diseases.

“There is compelling and overwhelming scientific evidence-based research out there saying that plant-based diets do away with many of the chronic non-communicable diseases out there — heart disease, a lot of cancers, diabetes type two — things that are related to the way we’re currently eating, which is very poor nutritionally,” Mouradjian said.

The course is offered online and open to the public, which able to reach a broader audience than just OU students.

“I currently have 17 students,” Mouradjian said, “One from New Zealand, one from the United Kingdom, two from Canada, and then, of course, we have people from Michigan, but I (also) have people from all over the U.S.”

Students learn from Powerpoints, links, discussions, films and vegan recipes.

“I’ve set it up so they’re going to learn quite a bit both from the course and each other,” said Mouradjian. “It’s all about interacting. They say they’re learning a lot. They’re learning not only from me, but from each other. They are really excited about finding out ways in which to be a healthy vegan.”

Sophomore biology major Alex Morton is a vegetarian student living on campus. She said the course is a step in the right direction for OU’s environmental concerns.

Morton said she appreciates that the course is being taught, but the food options on campus could be better.

“It’s contradictory with options for food on campus,” she said. “The OC is pretty good, but the cafeteria could do better.”

Mouradjian, on the other hand, believes there’s a variety of options for vegans and vegetarians.

“We have great vegan and vegetarian offerings right here on campus … Coyote Jacks serves fantastic garden burgers — they are the best,” Mouradjian said. “You can easily be vegan or vegetarian by going to the OC.”

For more information about veganism, vegetarianism and peta2, visit peta2.com