Auburn Hills passes housing option

An off-campus housing facility, parking structure and student center was recently approved for the downtown Auburn Hills area by the City of Auburn Hills.

Dually funded by the city of Auburn Hills and a private development company, Oakland University will not be investing in any of the facilities.

“OU has no investment, but plans on making it a housing option,” Tom Tanghe, assistant city manager, said. “The city realized the housing situation at OU and (they) took advantage of it.”

Currently, the apartment complex is expected to have 97 units with a mixture of one or two bedroom options or studio flats. The parking structure will be worked into the building.

“(The parking structure) is great, especially for female students,” Tanghe said. “It’s a good, secure environment. It’s also great for the winter. Students won’t have to worry about snow and they can live in an environment with security.”

The four-story building — which is currently planned to be open to OU graduate students in the fall — isn’t just for OU students though. According to Tanghe, it will be open to students from Oakland Community College, The William Beaumont School of Medicine and Cooley Law School as well.

Tanghe said he’s hoping students from each college will interact, especially in the study lounge, a log cabin across the street from Nana’s Café at the intersection of Auburn and Squirrel roads, which will be converted into a student center.

“The center is being designed similarly to study spaces and a lounge … while maintaining a log cabin structure,” Tanghe said. “We want it to be a gathering place for students to spend hours studying and an integrated learning environment.”

Brett McIsaac, a senior majoring in biology, also said that he was advocating for the lounge to be open for 24 hours, using the success of the Kresge project as an example.

“Over 11,000 people have been there from midnight until 7 a.m. since we started keeping it open,” he said.

McIsaac, student services director for OU student congress, has been working with Tanghe and students from other schools on the development of the buildings. Together, they are collaborating ideas to help figure out what to offer.

“Along with another student from OU, two students from Cooley and two from OCC, we’ve been discussing the amenities for students down to the color of the fabrics and how to arrange the furniture,” McIsaac said. “These facilities are the first of plans to create housing in downtown Auburn Hills for students.”

According to Tanghe, OU will not be placing OU residence assistance in the apartment complex, as a private managing company will be in charge.

“It’s the only privately owned apartment building off campus that will be offered but not owned by the universities,” Tanghe said. “It’s a win-win for everyone.”