Campus thefts on the rise

According to reports, the Oakland University Police Department is currently seeking two suspects in regards to a number of thefts that have taken place across the university in the last few weeks, specifically in unlocked dorm rooms.

OUPD Lieutenant Mel Gilroy confirmed with The Oakland Post that thefts at Hamlin Hall included one laptop, two iPods and a purse that were taken from two unlocked dorms in Hamlin Hall that were illegally entered.

OUPD has also obtained surveillance images of the two Hamlin Hall suspects. The images show the men inside the building. OUPD has used the images on fliers that they have posted online and around campus.

It was also reported that two laptops were stolen from the WXOU radio station on Tuesday, Jan. 10.

The thefts at WXOU occurred during the absence of two WXOU leaders during the hours of 4:30 and 5:30 p.m.

One of the missing laptops was owned by the student volunteer and the other was owned by WXOU. Both were locked in the general manager’s office during their absence.

Two students were present broadcasting a show during the leader’s absence. No accusations have been made, nor have any suspects been found.

The staff at WXOU declined to make any statements regarding the details, but Phil Berard, general manager at WXOU, did express an overall reaction that was he said was shared by all.

“We are disappointed that this happened and are hoping to recover our equipment,” Berard said. “There is an ongoing police investigation. That is all we have to say.”

It is unknown if there is any connection between the Hamlin Hall thefts and the WXOU thefts at this time.

If you have any information regarding this the identiy of the suspects, contact OUPD by calling (248) 370-3331.