Graham Counselling Center offers free mental health tests

Graham Counselling Center will be hosting a free depression and anxiety screening this Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. by the food court in the Oakland Center.

At the event, students will have the opportunity to complete a short and confidential screening questionnaire and meet with a counselling professional.

Dr. David Schwartz, director of GCC, highlighted the importance of this event for the student population as it raises emotional health awareness on campus.

“Depression and anxiety are common among college students,” he said. “As a result, we try and get out on campus and screen students, pass out helpful information, and get students thinking about their emotional well-being.”

One of the goals of the event is to increase awareness among students about the counselling services available to them.

“The biggest thing is that it just allows us to get out into the campus community a little bit more,” said Jamie Lucas, an intern with the GCC, “and for students to know who we are, where we are and that we’re available. The other big thing is it gives us an opportunity to reach students we maybe otherwise wouldn’t.”

The anonymous screener includes questions covering both anxiety and depression. The depression questions are designed to measure a student’s level of function.

“The screener has a section that asks questions about moods, sadness (and) energy levels,” Schwartz said. “Any significant changes in mood, energy level, appetite, substance use, personality changes, withdrawal, stress, increases in hopelessness or despair, can all be important warning signs.”

The anxiety section of the screening explores the student’s level of worry and stress.

Signs of anxiety could include fear, increased nervousness or agitation, and dependency on other people.

A counsellor will be on-site to speak with students. Schwartz said it can be important to reach out to someone.

“It takes a lot of courage to recognize that we need help sometimes,” he said.  “However, taking that first step and calling our counselling center could lead to positive changes that will affect the person for the rest of their (life).”

Students can find more information on warning signs and what to do if a friend is in distress at www.oakland.edu/gcc. Students wishing to schedule an appointment may do so by visiting the center or calling 248-370-3465.

Contact staff reporter Kevin Graham via e-mail at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @KevinGraham88