Internship mixer helps students explore careers

Career Services is hosting an internship mixer for employers and students on Feb. 8 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Oakland Center banquet rooms.

The event gives students an opportunity to network with employers and investigate internship opportunities.

Brenda Paine, assistant director of Career Services and event coordinator, suggested the idea to her employer earlier this year.

“This kind of event would be beneficial to both students and employers since internships are used as an important pool in which employers sometimes select from when considering permanent full time hires,” Paine said.

Although Paine is coordinating the event, she is not the only one planning it. She also had the help of a planning committee that includes the staff at Career Services and other faculty members of different university departments.

Paine’s primary aim for the event is to create awareness and show the importance of interning.

“Most employers expect students to have at least one or two internships by the time they graduate from college,” Paine said.

What students may expect and prepare for

Students should be prepared to ask questions about an employer’s internship program. Paine suggests asking questions about the structure and age of the program.

Students should come dressed in professional attire and should bring updated resumes with them in case the company is hiring.

“This is not guaranteed, but students should come see what opportunities there are,” Arlene Sheffer, office assistant, said.

Sheffer also hopes that many students attend in order to take advantage of this opportunity.

Paine said students should be prepared to sell themselves to companies who are ready to hire interns that day.

“Students should exercise professional behaviour at all times throughout the event,” Paine said.

Students are not required to register for this event.

For more informatio, visit www.oakland.edu/careerservices.

Contact staff intern Misha Mayhand via e-mail at [email protected].  Follow her on Twitter @Mac_Me_Over.