Historic $21 million donation made to OU

Oakland University’s leadership and faculty expressed excitement over the long-term effects of the record-breaking $21 million donation given to Oakland this past weekend, noting the growing bond between the surrounding community and the university.

The donation was made by long-time benefactor to OU, Stephan Sharf.

Sharf is a retired Chrysler executive and matched his retirement funds from the company with his own money to create OU scholarships available to Chrysler employees and their children.

In 2007 he has also received an honorary doctorate degree of science from the university.

President Gary Russi declared the gift will aid Southeastern Michigan as it transitions from the current economic struggles into a future of economic prosperity.

“This remarkable gift strategically targets two key areas of Oakland’s academic mission —namely programs that will allow (OU) to help southeastern Michigan and the state as a whole transition into a thriving, knowledge-based economy,” Russi said.

The two areas Russi referred to are the School of Engineering and Computer Science and the William Beaumont School of Medicine.

Both departments, along with the women’s golf team, were granted $14 million of the $21 million gift.

The remaining $7 million will be directed to campus operational and capital needs, according to Russi.

Russi said these departments will receive enhancements that will prepare students to become successful leaders in the 21st century through scholarships, research and “enriching” extracurricular activities.

“Another factor that makes this gift so significant is the fact that countless students will benefit directly from it. We are tremendously fortunate and grateful that our donor took the best interests of our students to heart,” Russi said.

He praised the hard work of the students, faculty and staff, who he said have made OU among the top universities in region. The gift, according to Russi, is a testament to what they have accomplished and will accomplish.

“(The gift) is an investment in Oakland University’s future,” he said. “This kind of positive reinforcement that our mission is valued really makes an affirmative statement in the community and the state that Oakland University has an integral role in educating Michigan’s future leaders.”

Russ Cunningham, the coach of both the women’s and men’s golf teams, also noted the long -term results of the gift and echoed the fact that it strengthens a bond with the community.

“We are very grateful (for the gift). Anything we receive will help us in our goal of capturing our first conference championship,” Cunningham said. “It is exciting for the university as a whole. It shows the overall enthusiasm in the community. It’s a great time to be an OU student, staff member and alumni.”

Eric Barritt, vice president of community engagement and university relations, believes that the reaction from the OU community is important to note.

“We are extremely grateful and humbled. (The gift) will benefit countless students and faculty through scholarships and research,” Barritt said.

RECENT BENEFACTORS OF OAKLAND UNIVERSITY

MAGGIE ALLESEE Namely a donor to the Music, Theater and Dance department, Maggie Allesee has donated millions of dollars to Oakland University during her decades of philanthropy. She has established an endowed chair in geriatrics and rehabilitation nursing in the School of Nursing, where she also serves on Board of Visitors. She also serves on the Board of Visitors for the Eisenhower Dance Ensemble in the MTD department.

ANN NICHOLSON Former Board of  Trustees member Ann Nicholson has made numerous donations to OU. She and her husband, James, are members of the Meadow Brook Society, which honors those who donated between $500,000 and $1 million. Nicholson has donated to the OU William Beaumount School of Medicine, the School of Nursing, the School of Business Administration, the Honor’s College, Kresge Library and the MTD department. The Ann V. Nicholson apartments are also named for her.

DENNIS AND CARLOTTA PAWLEY The husband and wife duo has made over $7 million of donations to OU. Dennis has served on the board of trustees and the OU Foundation Board of Directors. He also established the Pawley Lean Learning Institute, which strives to share concepts that improve efficiency in education and create leaders at the university and in the community. In 2004 Carlotta and Dennis Pawley Hall was named in honor of a $4 million donation the couple made to the School of Education and Human Services building.

STEPHAN SHARF A donor since 1981, Sharf has made the largest contribution, $21 million, to the university in the history of the institution. His connection to OU began in the 70s when he served as the chairman at the Meadow Brook Music Festival. In 2000, one of his numerous his contributions helped to establish the R & S Sharf Golf Course, named for he and his wife Rita, located on OU’s campus. In 2008 he made an anonymous $4 million to the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine.

Contact senior reporter Jordan Gonzalez via e-mail at [email protected]