OU hosts first sexual orientation, gender identity education seminar

On Feb. 3, Oakland University is hosting the first ever SOGI, sexual orientation and gender identity, conference for educators and the public. This is the first conference of its kind to take place in Michigan.

The term “SOGI” and conference were created by associate professor of education, Tim Larrabee.

He created the term in order to encompass all sexual orientations and gender identities.

Larrabee created the conference to have a forum for educators to discuss and learn about SOGI related issues.

Nationally known speakers host workshops and sessions at the conference, including keynote speaker Eliza Byard, executive director of The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education network.

Other organizations that will be contributing to the event include Affirmations, the ACLU of Michigan and the Ruth Elis Foundation.

Workshops at the conference will be two-hours long. During the time of the workshops, shorter one-hour sessions will be running.

Larrabee is most looking forward to people attending the event because of what he hopes to achieve with the conference.

“I want a high turnout because that will signify there is an interest and commitment by educators, students and administrators to make their classrooms, schools, districts and their home state of Michigan, safer, more inclusive and more welcoming for all, regardless of actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity and/or gender expression,” Larrabee said.

Louis Gallien, dean of the school of education has supported the convention from the beginning of planning.

“We’re in the business of education and I think there’s a lot of miseducation about issues surrounding sexual identity and orientation,” Dean of the School of Education and Human Services Louis Gallien said. “It’s difficult, it’s a difficult issue. There’s a lot of stereotypes and misconceptions and miscommunications.”

Larrabee is excited that the conference will help publicize OU’s commitment to the LGBT community.  According to Larrabee,the fact that this event is being hosted at OU means a lot to the development of the university on a larger scale.

“It is important to have this conference at OU because OU has been a bit slower than many of our sister state universities in adopting inclusive employment and non-discrimination policies,” Larrabee said.

“If we are to strive to attract the very best students, staff, faculty and administration to this institution, we must be able to demonstrate our commitment to the plurality of life experiences that shape our perspectives of the world.”

In addition to the conference’s workshops and session, the LGTBQA Advocacy Scholarship will be awarded. Catherine Pannell will be presented with the award during the lunch portion of the conference.

The event, which costs $25, is open to all backgrounds and majors.  To register, contact Tim Larrabee at [email protected]

People to know at the SOGI conference

TIM LARRABEE

Larrabee teaches science diversity oriented education classes at OU. He also chairs the SEHS SOGI task force.

LOUIS GALLIEN

Prior his OU career, Gallien was a Distinguished Professor of Education at Regent University in Virginia.

Contact campus editor Sarah Hunton via e-mail at [email protected]