College Democrats back in time for 2012 election

In late October 2011, before the Republican presidential debate at OU, concerned students revived the school’s chapter of the College Democrats.

John Ajlouny founded the OU College Democrats in 2009. Ajlouny transfered to the University of Michigan and, without his leadership, the organization declined.

“No one took the initiative to keep it up,” Ajlouny said.

At an October Pi Sigma Alpha meeting, senior international studies major Alex Green began a campaign to restore the organization.

Brianna Shamsuddoha is an international relations major and the treasurer of  the student organization. Since her junior high education, she has been involved in student political organizations.

“Even since elementary school, I know it sounds crazy, I have wanted to be involved in politics and bring about some sort of change,” she said.

She said that students have an obligation to make the change they desire.

President of OUCD, Sheza Mansoor, said the group is still in the process of reestablishing itself. No meetings are currently planned.

“I’m hoping that we can pace ourselves and get started with the meetings and events for students to attend in the near future,”  Mansoor said.

In addition to attracting Michigan democrats to speak at OU, Shamsuddoha wants to bridge party divides by “having an open forum with the College Republicans about facing issues that most affect college students.”

Joshua Cline is a nursing and political science major and the OUCR Acting Chairman.

“We’d definitely be up for debating the College Democrats, too,” Cline said.

More information about the group is available on the OUCD Facebook page.  For information about the OUCR, visit www.oakland.edu/csa.

Contact staff reporter Raymond Andre via e-mail at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @RAndre_87