Speed networking tips and tricks

Preparing for the job market today is a step that one must take in order to become prepared for life after graduation.

On Feb. 1, Career Services hosted a class in the Oakland Center that explained the ins and outs of participating in a speed networking event. The class prepared students for the speed networking event to take place Feb. 10 in the Gold Rooms of the Oakland Center.

Career Services intern Melissa Brode and peer mentor Darren Duff, led the class. Both are Oakland University students who began working with Career Services in order to help other students explore their job fields.

The idea of a speed networking session is to make contacts with professionals that are in your future job field.

According to Brode and Duff, there are many benefits to attending one of these events including acquiring an interview for a job, the possibility for an internship, knowledge of what is involved in a real world job and gaining a better idea of what employers expect.

At the Feb. 10 event, students will be given a personal schedule that tells students who to speak with and when. Students will be able to meet and talk with professionals for a total of five minutes each, and possibly meet with them afterwards during the afterglow, which is new to this year’s speed networking affair.

When meeting with each professional, it is expected that students give a 30 second “elevator speech” that tells them who you are, what your major is, and what you are looking for in the job field.

“You only get one chance to make a first impression — I cannot say that enough,” Duff said.

Brode suggests that before the event, make sure to have an updated resume  and some form of business card that provides the employer with contact information. Students are encouraged to bring multiple copies of both the resume  and business cards.

“In response to having a professional appearance online, make sure that your social media websites are professional,” Brode said.

To check out future events visit oakland.edu/careerservices

HOW TO MAKE A GOOD

IMPRESSION ON EMPLOYERS

DO:

Dress professionally. Men: Suit (black, dark blue, gray, brown, muted pin stripes), sensible tie, no jewelry, light cologne. Women: Pant suit, skirt (must be below the knee), nylons (neutral color), closed toe heels (three inch maximum), light perfume, conservative make-up and nail polish.

Know your strengths and weaknesses.

Listen to the employers. No matter what field they are in, even if they differ from yours, they will have things to say that can help you in the long run.

Follow up with the employers that you speak with.

DON’T:

Forget to wash your hands and manicure your nails. You will be shaking a lot of hands.

Be late for networking event — it’s unprofessional.

Forget to ask the employers questions about themselves and their jobs.

Forget to smile.

Contact staff intern Sarah Blanchette via email at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @S_Blanche_