Michigan Virtual University introduces a new program to its K-12 online school

In an effort to spread awareness about the accounting field, Michigan Virtual University, one of the largest online schools in the U.S. will introduce accounting courses into their high school curriculum for the coming school year.

MVU is hoping to acquaint young people with characteristics of the field, through informing them that accounting is not just bookkeeping, it includes many other responsibilities.

Vice President of Educational Programs and Outreach of MVU, David Meyers said, “We are very excited about the accounting program. Accounting has changed so much. There (are so many) regulations that kids need to learn (as well as) computer (programs) that are integrated into accounting.”

Dru Mitchell, the director of fund development at MVU, said she understands how important it is for students to not only learn about the field of accounting, but to realize the skills each person needs in order to be financially wise.

“(We need) to let kids know what it means to be an accountant,” said Mitchell. “We are trying to come up with a dynamic and robust course schedule.”

More than just accounting

In addition to the new accounting program, MVU offers other courses such as mathematics, astronomy, and bioethics. These classes are offered for students who are looking to participate in an advanced placement course that may not be offered in their high school.

This coming school year, MVU hopes to educate educate 20,000 adults and even more K-12 students. A portion of the adult population is composed of educational professionals who, like the younger students, are expanding their education.

MVU has developed multiple partnerships with other organizations in the past that allow students to gain hands-on experience in a given field and allows the school to receive grant money.

“In the past, we have worked with the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame to develop a mathematics and statistics course,” Mitchell said. We (also) worked with Microsoft on some career (planning) tools.”

The online challenge for teachers

Teachers at MVU face a different set of challenges than teachers do at traditional schools because there is no chance for face-to-face interaction with their students.

“It’s different in the face-to-face environment. Our teachers that (educate) online like online teaching because they connect directly with their students. (For example) if a student is having trouble with a particular equation in algebra, he or she can get some one on one time and not be embarrassed to raise their hand,” Mitchell said.

Expanding MVU

MVU credits their success and growth to the last three Michigan governors.

“We were founded under Governor Engler, we have grown under Governor Granholm and we have (grown) under (the) current administration. We are pretty pleased that we have been able to be (successful) with both parts of the chamber,” Meyers said.

With the new accounting program, the MVU hopes to exploring additional professions in order to show Michigan that virtual education is more than just credit recovery for K-12 students, but can broaden their overall academic career.