Greek cottages undergo renovations

All four of Oakland University’s Greek cottages, which are located off of Adams Road across the university’s main campus, will undergo renovations this summer.

According to OU’s website, the cottages were built in 1918 and served as homes for Meadow Brook Farms staff members.

Currently, the cottages belong to students in fraternities, sororities, student organizations or those who share a common interest or program.

Shelby Pattinson, Phi Sigma Sigma house manager and public relations chair for  the Panhellenic council, said the decision to renovate the cottages came about during a house managers’ meeting.

“I was concerned about the old age of the houses, many things need repairing, and I just wanted to make them more livable for members to stay in,” Pattinson said.

According to Pattinson, the windows of the cottage allow cold air to leak through, which is why they are being repaired.

“The windows of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon cottage was the worst,” Pattinson said.

University Housing agreed to make some renovations to improve the cottages’ quality.

This is Pattinson’s fifth year in the sorority and she has never seen any renovations done on the house since she’s been a member.

“I am unaware of the last time renovations of this kind were done on the cottages,” Pattinson said.

Pattinson believes the increased price of room and board could be funding a portion of the renovations, and University Housing is paying for the rest.

Silvanah Gagnon, president of the Gamma Phi Beta Delta Omega Chapter, said she is looking forward to moving back after the renovations are complete.

Gagnon has been living in the Greek Cottages for three years now and said she can’t wait to show off the new house during formal recruitment in the fall.

“The kitchen definitely needed renovations, it was pretty gross,” Gagnon said.

According to Gagnon, the kitchen in the GPB house will be getting new floors, cabinets, an oven and will be painted. The bedrooms and living room will be painted as well.

“The living room floors were done last semester, so the bedrooms and the kitchen are the main focus over the summer,” Gagnon said.

She said she knows the renovations are definitely coming out of OU’s budget, specifically housing, but exact numbers are not known at the time.

“OU is very supportive of Greek life,” Gagnon said. “We’re growing each year and the sororities have formal recruitment coming up in the fall, so if you’re interest come out and pledge.”

Lucas Johnson, president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon and the vice president of the Greek Council, is looking forward to the new look of the cottages.

“I will just be greatful to be part of the first class able to experience the new renovations first hand,” he said.

For more information about Greek life at OU, visit www.oakland.edu/gogreek