A new Scantron vending machine has been placed in the lower level of the Oakland Center

Across from the bookstore in the Oakland Center basement, a new Scantron vending machine has been installed.

Originally a concept intended for Kresge Library because the facility is open 24 hours, the machine was deemed a better fit for the Oakland Center, according to Samantha Wolf, student body president.

“The reason why is (because) the bookstore would be the one stocking it and making sure everything was in it,” she said.

This fact caught the attention of administration at the OC, who owns the machine.

The vending machine is already showing signs of its convenience, according Bill Ebensperger, bookstore manager.

“It is definitely a benefit because we are not open 24 hours a day,” Ebensperger said.

According to Ebensperger, a major issue OUSC would hear from students is that there was a shortage of Scantrons.

Both those at the bookstore and OUSC agree that the feedback from the vending machine has been positive.

“It (the vending machine) gives students a chance to buy supplies while the store is closed if they are in dire need,” Jeff Cox, student and bookstore employee, said.

The machine also sells other school supplies including calculators, batteries, headphones and USB drives.

Ebensperger said the main focus of the vending machine is to cater to the   student body and make sure they get their materials when needed.

“We’re just trying to make it a little more convenient for the students when we’re not open,” he said.

The vending machine project is still in its experimental stage, according to Amera Fattah, OUSC student services director .

“We are currently looking at the traffic it gets and the OC is just testing out the one here right now,” she said.

Depending on the success of this machine, more may be added in time. The next one will most likely be installed in the library, according to Fattah.

Contact Staff Intern Eric Bartsch via email at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @EricxSyngenor