Fall Career Fair get students in the right direction

Oakland University Career Services plans to host two Career Fairs during the fall semester.

The 2012 Fall Career Fair will take place Sept. 25 in the Oakland Center banquet rooms, and the Engineering and IT Career Fair will take place Oct. 2 in the Recreation Center. Both events are scheduled from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Professional dress is required.

According to the Career Services website, some registered employers include Chrysler Group LLC, Comerica Bank, Ford Motor Company and DTE Energy. Career fairs present the opportunity for students to network and meet potential employers and for businesses to establish a presence at OU.

Wayne Thibodeau, director of Career Services, suggests first meeting with a career consultant in the Career Services office to review your resume, then become acquainted with companies you are interested in.

“Research the companies you want to meet,” Thibodeau said. “The more you know (about the company), the more you can converse with the company representative. Be able to communicate why you are attending, what positions you are seeking and prepare to highlight key attributes you can bring to positively impact the organization.”

It also helps to prepare a few questions of your own to ask the employers to show you have want to pursue a future with the company.

Many students find internships and full-time jobs through the Career Fair. According to Thibodeau, the more students interact with employers, the more they will be remembered when it is time for employers to select students to interview.

Mary Kaltsounis, a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering, found work through one of last year’s Career Fairs. After attending, she was hired as an intern at Brose North America Inc. She now works as customer team project engineer for window lift motors.

“I wanted to go (to the Career Fair) and see what was out there,” Kaltsounis said. “I attended the job fair the previous year and also had luck finding an internship. Even though I enjoyed my job, I wanted to have a different kind of job to expand my resume so I attended the next year (in 2011).”

According to Kaltsounis, the hiring process was quick and the companies that attend are serious about finding new people.

“They contact you right away within the week and possibly set up an interview to come and see the office within the following few weeks,” she said.

Both Kaltsounis and Thibodeau agree that it is a good idea to go to the Career Fairs to get your name out and see what positions are available in your field and to see what companies are looking for.

“The biggest piece of advice I can give is to just be yourself and answer all the questions honestly,” Kaltsounis said. “If you’re looking for an internship, don’t worry about not having all the answers. That’s the whole point of being an intern: to learn.

For more information about  Career Fairs or to meet with a career consultant, visit the Career Services website at www.oakland.edu/careerservices or call 248 -370-3250.

Contact Staff Reporter Lauren Kroetsch via email at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @lauren_kroetsch