Updated Bear Bus program to start up in September

This semester, Oakland University Housing and Oakland University Student Congress will unveil an updated Bear Bus program with two new shuttles and expanded routes. The free service will begin operating in mid September.

In addition to the two existing vans, the Bear Bus program will now have two 2012 Ford Starcraft Allstar shuttles that seat 16 to 20 passengers. The shuttles have wheelchair lifts that are compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, features not previously available with the program’s vans.

“It’s all about allowing all of our students to have equal access,” said Sandra Alef, assistant director of residence life and university housing. “I don’t ever want one of my students to go without for any reason.”

Design and branding

Members of housing and university communications and marketing collaborated to design the vinyl wraps for the shuttles, a process that took about two months, according to senior designer of the project Frank Fisher.

Fisher said the communications and marketing department wanted the shuttles to have an energetic feel.

“We (the housing and communications and marketing departments) wanted a dynamic, bigger-than-life look,” he said.

The wraps feature images of the Grizz, the OU logo and the university’s web address. Fisher feels the expansion of the Bear Bus program will strengthen OU’s branding.

“Vehicle graphics, at the very least, are moving billboards,” he said. “The added advantage is a vehicle is three-dimensional, like a package on wheels.”

Additional routes running through Rochester and Auburn Hills have also been created.

“The shuttles are sure to create additional positive exposure for the university,” said Kelly Garnett, assistant director of housing enrollment and marketing.

Serving the students

Amera Fattah, director of student services for Student Congress, has served as a liaison between OUSC and the housing department, relaying students’ transportation concerns.

According to Fattah, students have been seeking a more affordable place to buy groceries and necessities. To appease these concerns, the Bear Bus will now make weekly trips to the Walmart and Meijer located at Adams Road and M-59.

The program will be continuously adjusted according to student needs and demands, according to Fattah.

“The Bear Bus will be taking you everywhere you need to go,” Fattah said. “It’s a safe way to do it, as well as efficient.”

In addition to making it faster to get around campus, the changes in transportation will also relieve some of the traffic congestion and help OU decrease its carbon footprint according to both Fattah and Alef.

“I’ve been adamant about the initiative because I think it will greatly help the students and the entire OU community,” Fattah said. “It’s feasible to accommodate all of the student’s needs with this program.”

Contact Senior Reporter Katie Williams via email at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @kwillicando