Working together to earn an associate degree

Macomb Community College and Oakland University have teamed up to allow credits to transfer more freely between the two schools.

According to Tish Wirth, public relations coordinator at Macomb Community College, the formal signing of the agreement was Aug. 14.

The reverse transfer agreement allows students who have earned credits at OU to apply them toward the completion of an associate degree from MCC.

According to the MCC newsletter, the agreement enables students who have obtained a minimum of 30 credits at MCC and a minimum of 35 credits at OU to apply for an associate degree.

At the end of the fall semester, OU will provide MCC with a list of concurrently enrolled or previously transferred students that may be eligible.

“This new reverse transfer agreement underscores Macomb’s focus on helping students successfully complete their degrees,” said James O. Sawyer, vice president and provost of MCC in a press release.

In 2006, MCC and OU established M2O,  the state’s first joint admission, concurrent enrollment program.

According to the newsletter, the program was developed in an attempt to ease the process of transferring from a community college to a university, to offer flexibility in scheduling, coordinated advising and financial aid and to assist students in the timely completion of their degrees.

“Research shows that transfer students who earn their associate degree are much more likely to persist and successfully complete their bachelor’s degree,” Sawyer said. “In addition, the reverse transfer process provides students with an educational credential that is useful to employment while en route to their bachelor’s degree.”

OU already offers select courses in Macomb County: Macomb University Center, the Macomb Intermediate School District in Clinton Township and the Oakland University Anton/Frankel Center in Mount Clemens.

OU officials at the Macomb University Center said the program is a positive development.

“The benefit for students is that they can pursue a bachelor’s degree while obtaining the associate degree,” Julianne Leigh,  OU director of budget at the Macomb University Center, said.

Contact Campus Editor Stephanie Preweda via email at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @stephsocool 

Contact Senior Reporter Katie Williams via email at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @kwillicando