Chartwells survey to determine fate of campus Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A owner Dan Cathy has been a center of controversy since 2010 because of his practice of donating profits from his restaurant chain to organizations opposed to same-sex marriage.

At Oakland University, the home of Michigan’s only Chick-fil-A, the controversy was ever-present.

Anti-discrimination groups on campus, along with various faculty and administrative representatives, recently held meetings with Chartwells, the food service provider at OU, to inform the organization of mounting concerns due to the controversy surrounding Chick-fil-A.

The concerns of the students, faculty and administration coupled with recent developments in the story have now caused Chartwells to do something they haven’t done before — ask for the students’ opinions on the divisive restaurant.

On Wednesday, the OU homepage featured a news brief to inform the student population of a survey meant to “gauge student sentiment” on the Chick-fil-A controversy.

The survey requires students to go to one of two survey sites located outside the Chartwells office in the Oakland Center and outside the Vandenberg Cafeteria or fill out an online survey.

The in-person survey sites require students to present their student IDs to participate and are open from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. from Wednesday, Sept. 26 to Friday, Sept. 28. However, there is a minimum requirement of participants in order for the survey to be considered accurate. If that minimum is not met by Friday, the survey will be extended.

Survey results will be used by Chartwells to determine the fate of Michigan’s only Chick-fil-A.