Early Alert program introduced to students

By using the Early Alert program, Oakland University hopes to increase retention rates, according to Brian Wummel, Early Alert retention coordinator.

Wummel said the idea originated with the realization retention among freshman was extremely low.

“The program is designed to identify students that are at risk of receiving a D, or F grade, withdrawing or not completing a course,” Wummel said.

He said it’s an implemented system where instructors can easily identify these students.

“Students should be referred to the program for poor class attendance, incomplete or missing assignments, low test scores, inappropriate classroom behavior and the need for basic skill enhancement,” Wummel said. “The optimal referral time is three to six weeks from the start of the semester.”

According to Wummel, the program will hopefully give students the time needed to make changes that will result in academic success.

“The idea of the program was more of a combined effort that manifested out of need,” he said.

Wummel said it took several years to get the program off the ground.

“We started this effort in 2009 as a pilot program and we are now entering our fourth year,” he said.

Elizabeth DeVerna, director and supervisor of the program, said it has been slowly building and is getting a lot of positive feedback from the faculty members who are using it.

“It started with the writing department, the biology department and the psychology departments,” DeVerna said. “What we need to see happen is more faculty members that teach the 100 and 200 level classes in particular utilizing it early.”

The process

Wummel said once the student is identified, he would contact them and highlight the areas of concern, as well as  provide information about on-campus resources that could help the student increase their chances of successfully completing the course.

“Students also have the option of setting up individual meetings with the coordinator to discuss any concerns that

they may have,” he said.

DeVerna said after six weeks, the program ceases being an early alert and then it’s not doing what it was designed to do.

“In regards to whether they should stay in class or drop it, they should know what their options are,” DeVerna said. “If it’s week eight or nine, then it is difficult to make that decision.”

Resources and repercussions

“OU has numerous resources in place to help students reach the goal of graduation and help them cope with the stress of college,” Wummel said.

He said the Tutoring Center, the Writing Center and Graham Counseling Center are some examples of useful resources on campus.

“Additionally, most new students are unaware that withdrawing or receiving an incomplete shows up on your transcript permanently,” Wummel said.

He said undergraduate grades influence the decisions of graduate schools you may wish to attend in the future.

“The pace of college is much different than high school and has a lasting impression on your future,” Wummel said.

DeVerna said she hopes to prevent students from having to appeal.

“I don’t want to see students making appointments to be re-admitted,” she said.

The early alert program sends notifications to students within 3 to 4 weeks and contacts the student directly using their OU email.

“Another goal of the Early Alert program was to implement a user friendly system for faculty to use,” DeVerna said.

Contact Multimedia Reporter Misha Mayhand via email at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @Mac_Me_Over