Celebrating Hispanic independence

This September marks the 15th consecutive year Oakland University will recognize festivities for the Hispanic Celebration Month Independence Day Celebration.

The events celebrate Hispanic culture, politics and history.

“It’s always the kick off for the multi-cultural celebrations throughout the academic year,” Jean Ann Miller, director for the center of student activities, said.

Flamenco dancers dressed in costumes performed during the opening ceremony on Sept. 17.

From now until Oct. 5, eight more events will occur around campus, each with a different theme to tie into the celebration of Hispanic independence.

“We want to increase awareness about Hispanic Celebration Month and explain to students who aren’t sure about the celebration,” said Maria Arellano, OU Student Congress multicultural affairs director.

According to Arellano, the committee gets together at the end of the winter semester and plans throughout the summer semester for a total of 10 celebratory events.

The next event, Student Panel: Mi Familia, is Wednesday from noon to 1 p.m. in Fireside Lounge in the Oakland Center.

“The Salsa lessons seem to be the most popular,” Miller said. “Last year, we had from 90-100 people show, (both) men and women.”

For a calendar of events and more information, visit www.oakland.edu/hem or call the Center for Multicultural Initiatives at 248-370-4404.

Contact Campus Editor Stephanie Preweda via email at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter@stephsocool