Meet the newest Board of Trustees members

In August, Governor Rick Snyder appointed Scott Kunselman and Dennis Pawley as newest members of the Board of Trustees at Oakland University.

Both will serve eight-year terms that will end Aug. 11, 2020.

Scott Kunselman

Kunselman was born in Kittanning, Pa., earned a  Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering from Carnegie Mellon University in 1985. Kunselman also received a Master of Science degree in mechanical engineering and a Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Michigan.

He has worked at Chrysler Group LLC in positions ranging from product engineer to his current position as senior vice president of purchasing and supplier quality.

His current position has given him experience “buying billions of dollars” worth of materials” for the company, he said.

As an executive at Chrysler, a company with ties to the university which include establishing several engineering science labs, Kunselman also had an opportunity to develop a unique view on OU and its students.

“Chrysler’s headquarters are only steps away from the OU campus,” Kunselman said. “So I have had a front row seat to watch the investment in world-class facilities and important academic programs over the years.”

As a father of four, Kunselman shares students’ concerns regarding  increases in tuition.

“The concerns about the cost of a quality education hit close to home,” he said. “Unfortunately increases are sometimes necessary in order to invest in the future of the university. As we move forward, it will be a priority of the board’s to keep any tuition increases within reason.”

According to OU President Gary Russi, Pawley brings experience in executive management to OU’s BOT.

Dennis Pawley

Pawley was born in Milan, Mich.  and earned his Bachelor of Science degree in human resource development from OU in 1982. He served as the executive vice president for manufacturing at Chrysler before  co-founding the management consulting firm  Lean Learning Institute.

For his eight-year term, Pawley said he hopes to address student concerns regarding  housing and parking.

“Adding additional parking and on-campus housing are two priority items before this board,” Pawley said. “I know a vigorous discussion about these issues has been going on for some time now and I’m looking forward to adding my views to that discussion.”

Another issue he hopes to tackle is students’ concerns regarding tuition increases.

“With dwindling state resources, it’s become more difficult to keep tuition rates as low as we’d like them to be,” he said. “One of our key priorities is to maintain academic quality, and it’s impossible to do that without some costs rising. However, we are committed to holding down tuition costs to the lowest possible level every year.”

Pawley also is a sponsor of the Pawley Institute scholarship, as well as the namesake for Pawley Hall.

“I know that no one has more knowledge of or a deeper sense of dedication to this university than Dennis,” Russi said. “I look forward to the contributions each will bring to an already consummate Board of Trustees.”

Contact Staff Intern Stefan Pelak via email at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @stefanpelak