Campus Briefs 9/26

Celebrate National Hispanic Independence: Taste of Culture

On Sept. 29 from 7 to 9 p.m. in the main lobby of Hamlin Hall, the Residence Halls Association will sponsor a Taste of Culture dinner. This event is for residence hall students only.  For more information on the dinner or other events for National Hispanic Celebration Month, contact the Center for Multicultural Initiatives at 248- 370-4404 or at [email protected].

Graham Health Center offers sessions to quit smoking

The Graham Health Center is offering a seven-week, eight-session smoking cessation class beginning Sept. 26 from 12:00 p.m. until 1 p.m. at Room 126 in the Oakland Center. The program includes a step-by-step plan to quit smoking. For more information, contact Julie Proctor at [email protected].

Pulitzer Prizer winner, Philip Levine comes to campus

Philip Levine, Poet Laureate of the United States, is coming to Oakland University  Wednesday, Sept 26 in the Oakland Room of the Oakland Center. Levine is originally from Detroit and the author of 20 collections of poetry and 1995 Pulitzer Prize winner for poetry.  For more information contact the department of English at 248-370-2251.

National anti-bullying month

In light of National Anti-Bullying Month, shoe boxes will be placed in several offices throughout campus for people to confess a time when they bullied someone. The boxes will be placed by Tara Michener Industries, Professionals Against Bullying Dream Esteen Detroit Project.

Boxes will be around campus throughout the month of October. At the end of the semester, the boxes will be opened and read. “There will be no judgement,” Michener said. For more information, contact Tara at 734-968-4458 or follow her on twitter @taramichener, or visit www.taramichener.com 

Compiled by Lillian Reid,

Staff Intern