After 37 years, Richard Stamps retires

The anthropology and archaeology departments lose professor Richard Stamps after 37 years of teaching.

Stamps, associate professor of Anthropology gave his last lecture entitled “Reflections and Connections” Sept .14 from 4 to 7 p.m. in the Gold Rooms of the Oakland Center.

During his time at Oakland University, Stamps received several awards during his career such as the Honorary Alumnus Award from the OU Alumni Association, OU’s Teaching Excellence Award and the Michigan Association of Governing Boards of Colleges and Universities Distinguished Faculty Award.

He began his speech reflecting back on his early life and upbringing. Stamps talked about his mom and dad and  thanked them for the contributions  they made.

“It made me who I am today,” he said.

Reflections

Stamps was born in the San Francisco Bay Area and grew up in Oakland, Calif.

“I’m pretty sure there is some type of connection between me working at OU in Oakland County, having lived in Oakland, California,” he said.

Stamps started his college years at Modesto Junior College in Modesto, Calif. where he decided to become a Mormon missionary at age 19 (did Stamps travel to China for missionary work?).

“I decided that I wanted to share both my religious devotion and passion for China,” Stamps said.

He met Marsha, his wife of 46 years, after he transferred to Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.

“She is my soul mate, she’s always encouraged and helped me achieve goals that I didn’t know was possible,” Stamps said. “She is truly the wind beneath my wings.”

Stamps says one of the reasons why he is retiring is to spend more time with his grandchildren.

Adrienne Bass, director for strategic programs, said she’s learned a lot about Stamps throughout the years while working with him.

“His wife Marsha, children Lisa, Christina, William, Steve and Karen all attended Oakland University,” Bass said. “Though only Marsha, Lisa and Karen graduated from OU.”

Connections

Stamps spent 10 weeks in Mexico in the Yucatán Peninsula  while working on his master’s degree. He graduated twice from Brigham Young University with a bachelor’s and master’s degree in anthropology and archaeology.

“It’s a shame for students who won’t ever get to take Dr. Stamps because he was such an inspiring man,” Rachel Stromayer, an OU alum and former student of Stamps, said.

“He was the professor that everyone could relate to and he was a very caring. He was the best professor that I had at OU,” Stromayer said.

“I learned the most I’ll probably ever learn about China from Dr. Stamps,” Jim Vannada, double major in sociology and French, said.

“I’ve never had a professor convey his knowledge so well, especially the portion where we learn about knowledge, being a non-native Chinese speaker, he knew exactly how to teach the language to us,” Vannada said.

Kate Bumhoffer, communications major and minoring in Chinese language and civilization, said she took Stamps’ Intro to China course the semester before she studied abroad in China.

“He made it very fun and I felt very prepared to go to China afterward,” Bumhoffer said. “He shared some great info and really gave us an interesting look into the culture.”

Beginning of the End

Stamps handed over the key to his office to Henry Gordon to accept on the behalf of another professor who couldn’t make it due to medical issues.

As he closes out his speech,Stamps quotes former Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost  Virinder Moudgil by saying “it’s all about the students.”

“Life is a journey,” Stamps said. “I can still move my body but it’s time to step aside and make room for new blood, it’s time to pass the torch.”