New lieutenant in the rankings

Terry Ross, a 23- year veteran of the Oakland University Police Department, has been promoted to the rank of lieutenant. Ross has served the department as a sergeant for the last seven years. Ross was promoted in August.

“Everyday at work is an interview and I was fortunate enough to be selected,” Ross said.

OUPD officially announced the availability of the position May 21 after the retirement of Lieutenant Mel Gilroy. Ross and Gilroy worked together for 23 years and Gilroy was a part of Ross’ initial hiring process.

Ross was selected after an interview process that included both internal and external evaluations by other law enforcement officials.

“Both candidates were excellent candidates,” Samuel Lucido, Chief of Police, said. “These are always difficult choices, but ever since I’ve been chief here, which is approaching 10 years now, I’ve always noted that even as a police officer, he (Ross) exhibited leadership potential.” .

To qualify for the promotion, a candidate was required to have served at last two years as sergeant within the department. Ross was promoted to that rank in 2005.

Eligible candidates were first interviewed by a panel consisting of law enforcement executives from other universities and were then further evaluated by Police Captain Mark Gordon and finally himself, according to Lucido.

Candidates were evaluated based on their work ethic, judgment, leadership abilities, experience, training, loyalty to the department and university, and their progression and potential within OUPD.

“Terry’s always had an open door to help anybody in the department advance their skills and knowledge,” he said.

Ross earned his associate degree in general studies from Mott Community College and a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from Kaplan University. He is currently working on earning a master’s degree in technological studies at Eastern Michigan University.

Prior to joining OUPD, Ross served as a police officer in both Genessee Township and Montrose City, and then worked for the Oakland County Public Safety department. Ross said that he enjoys both the structure and variety of police work As an OU police officer, Ross was elected by his peers to serve as the president of the officers’ union. He was selected to serve in the same capacity as a sergeant.

Ross’ peers have long recognized him as a leader, according to Lucido.

In 2010, OUPD sent Ross to an extensive management-training program at the Eastern Michigan University School of Police Staff and Command, Lucido said.

Ross also plays a role in OU’s Rape Aggression Defense program, having been the first officer to teach the course here in 1998. Ross still coordinates the program, and has taught more than 2,000 women self-defense tactics since its establishment.

“RAD remains one of the single most popular outreach programs on campus,” Lucido said. “For a person at the rank of police officer to take on the responsibility of developing and implementing such a critical program, and make it as successful as it’s been, is quite impressive. I’ve always viewed that as a good indicator of his leadership ability.”

OUPD has been preparing for the new semester for weeks, and Ross has high hopes for his new role within the department.

“Lieutenant Gilroy has been somewhat my role model,” Ross said. “I can take that same role model and then take what I learn as I’m in the position and change it to my personality while continuing to provide good service.”

As lieutenant, Ross will supervise sergeants and the detective, direct operational issues in the department, deal with major events on campus, coordinate dignitary visits, and monitor traffic and parking control. He will also review any investigations, oversee dispatch, monitor the recruitment and training of new officers, and provide support to the chief of police.

“I’m looking forward to doing a good job,” he said. “This is my opportunity to have an impact on how we prepare for the start of the semester.”

Lucido is confident with Ross’ ability to perform as a lieutenant.

“He (Ross) has always exhibited dedication to the profession and a very true sincere dedication to Oakland University,” Lucido said. “The safety and security of the community are utmost in his mind everyday.”

Contact Senior Reporter Katie Williams via email at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @kwillicando