Fashion House of Oakland University hosts #TrafficStoppers

The Fashion House of Oakland University hosted the first #TrafficStoppers Fashion Show Nov. 27 at 7 p.m. The event  featured styles from 10 Michigan fashion designers in addition to performances by student groups.

“I thought it would be a good fashion show,” freshman, Kenyetta Morgan, said. “I’m really into fashion and wanted to see the different designs.”

Entertainment

After an introduction by Fashion House president, Cortney Hopkins, a rap group made of students Dre J. Cope, Mikal De’Lette, D-Whit and Ronnie J kicked off the show with their performance of “Model (Traffic Stop)” which the group wrote for the show.

Other student performances included a vocal performance of “Candles in the Sun” by Miguel, a dance performance by the Oakland University Cultural Dance Group and MAHD performing “Pretty Ladies.”

The designers and fashion

Designers included in the show were Je Suis Fashion, DAMERSEO & Co., Yaya Jewels, Canvas of Dreams, KEMI, My Era Apparel, 38 Otto, La Vas, KC Customz and Pierre Gabrielle.

Bright colored denim and tops, deconstructed scarves, trench coats, beaded jewelry and faux fur were among some of the styles featured in the show.

Prizes were awarded as the audience got involved for a runway walk contest and designer trivia challenge.

Fashion inspiration

Chelsee Foley, designer of 38 Otto, has a personal story behind her fashions. After losing her uncle in 2008, she recently found out he died of pancreatic cancer and had not told anyone about having the disease. When visiting his grave, she saw it was labeled “38” and decided to use her flare for fashion to raise money to buy him a headstone, with other proceeds going toward the National Pancreatic Cancer Foundation.

“It’s helping keep (my uncle) living with more than a number to remember him by,” Foley said. “I spent a lot of time staying up really late making the clothes. I love designing. Whenever my friends buy expensive clothing I know I can make the same styles.”

Culinary student, Edward Lewis, and OU sophomores, Brennan Brown and James Braddock, make up “Canvas of Dreams.” The group uses their own artwork to design their clothing.

“Instead of going to the museum and paying to see artwork, we wanted to design art you can wear around on your shirt,” Braddock said.

Future shows

This show was sponsored by Jeremy Cornelius of Jer DecCor Collections.

The Fashion House will hold a model casting Dec. 5  from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Lake Huron room of the Oakland Center for their next fashion show, which will be held in February.