New media minor to be offered in 2013 fall semester

Oakland University will offer a new Media Production minor in the 2013-2014 academic year to prepare students for careers in the radio, television and digital production industries.

The College of Arts and Sciences approved the minor in April. Students can choose to specialize in one of two tracks, either broadcasting or multimedia. Both require a minimum of 24 credits.

Students will be exposed to different media of production like Youtube, mobile phones and iPads, which allow people to create video in the palm of their hand.

“The way the world communicates is so much different now,” said Bob Parent, a special lecturer in the communication department. “The tools that we teach here … are about learning how to function under pressure, it’s learning how to visualize and tell a story, but tell a story in a different way. ”

Within the broadcasting track, students can focus on either television or radio. They must complete two required courses, Newswriting and Radio-Television News, in addition to 16 elective credits within the communication and journalism programs.

The multimedia track requires students to take Newswriting, Digital Photojournalism and Convergence Journalism in addition to 12 elective credits. Students can expect to learn about the “various mobile media forms of communication,” said Adina Schneeweis, an assistant journalism professor, served as the curriculum committee chair during the drafting and passing of the minor.

Schneeweis said she has had professionals speak in her class “about just how important it is now for students to know a little bit of everything, and ideally a lot of everything.”

“We’re excited about the opportunities to help those students who have a great interest in the field,” Parent said.