Gov. Snyder, Daymond John to speak at Keeper of the Dream

Oakland University will welcome Gov. Rick Snyder as a guest speaker Jan. 21, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, for OU’s 21st annual Keeper of the Dream Scholarship Celebration.

Entrepreneur Daymond John of ABC’s “Shark Tank” will also be featured as keynote speaker.

“The Keeper of the Dream Scholarship Awards Celebration is in many ways an event designed to promote social justice, and we’re happy to have two very special guests who will certainly have valuable insights to share about making the most of Dr. King’s Dream,” said Omar Brown-El, director of OU’s Center for Multicultural Initiatives and organizer of the Keeper of the Dream Celebration, in a press release.

The celebration will be held in the Banquet Rooms of the Oakland Center at 11:30 a.m. and will recognize three OU students as recipients of the Keeper of the Dream Scholarship Award.

The award recipients

Jean Ann Miller, director of the Center for Student Activities, said students Bria Ellis, Charlie Lapastora and Steven Wynne were selected among many applicants to receive this year’s awards for their “contribution to diversity on OU’s campus.”

“Students submit an application, and then there is a selection process based upon the application, academics and an interview,” she said.

What to expect 

Miller said the event’s keynote speaker and business shark, John, was the original featured guest of the event, but Gov. Snyder will be speaking briefly before John takes the stage.

Miller credits Brown-El as being instrumental in the arrangements for John to speak at the event.

Gov. Snyder’s office contacted OU and asked to speak at Monday’s Keeper of the Dream event.

Each year, the governor visits a different Michigan university every Martin Luther King Day, she said.

Miller said he was interested in what service opportunities OU was doing, and his focus is a non-political speech focusing on service.

“I am grateful to have the opportunity to take part in this celebration of Dr. King’s vision of advancing equality, social justice and opportunity for all,” Gov. Snyder said in a press release. “I’m sure the three students selected for this esteemed award will use their passion and leadership abilities to continue this mission for their generation.”

A change in tradition

According to Miller, OU’s MLK Day of Service is traditionally held on Martin Luther King Day as well but was moved to Saturday, Jan. 19 in light of the 57th presidential inauguration.

Miller said both Snyder and John are entrepreneurs and excellent examples for students, their presence adding to what she calls “a very special day.”

“It’s the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation as well as Martin Luther King Jr. Day,” Miller said. “What better to reflect what the United States is all about, and what Oakland University is all about.”

Contact Senior Reporter Jennifer Holychuk via email [email protected]