Oakland University Student Congress hosts Women in Islam

Oakland University Student Congress hosted Women in Islam Feb. 7 in the Fireside Lounge of the Oakland Center.

This event featured several guest speakers and a presentation of some Islamic history. After the speeches, students were invited to participate in a question and answer session with a panel of Islamic students.

The main point of the presentation is to address common misconceptions students might have about women in Islam, according senior Sheeren Syed.

“Misconceptions are so widespread now,” Syed said. “There shouldn’t be a distinction between nationalities.”

This was the second meeting of the two-part event. During the previous week, students were invited to learn how to wear a hijab, wear it for the week and then return to the second meeting to share their experiences.

Assistant professor of anthropology, Tara Deubel gave a speech about the role that women play in Islam.

“The main goal today is to promote the education of culture and the acceptance of everyone,” Robbie Williford, vice president of OUSC, said. “We want to break down stereotypes that students might have.”

Featured at the event was a wall of photos showing women from a variety of backgrounds. The photos varied from women in full hijab and authentic clothing to women casually dressed.

“Stereotypes cause so much anger in between people,” Syed said. “But people need to realize that at the end of the day, we are all human beings.”