Several campus features to be relocated due to Elliott Carillon Tower

The construction of the Elliott Carillon Tower, to be completed September 2014, will take place in the area between the Oakland Center, Kresge Library and O’Dowd Hall. This addition to Oakland University’s campus will necessitate the movement of some picnic tables and hammocks which currently occupy the area.

“The picnic tables and hammocks will be relocated. We will be working with the student groups that we worked with to install them initially,” said Terry Stollsteimer, associate vice president for facilities management.

Some walkways will also be removed and relocated.

The cement kiosk put in place for student announcements will remain in its current location, Stollsteimer said.

OUSC Student Services Director Amera Fattah said she hopes the hammocks and picnic tables can be arranged in a way that will add to the students’ enjoyment of the tower.

“We hope that with the construction, as well as, after completion of the Elliot Carillon Tower, the hammocks, picnic tables, etc., will be in the same vicinity so they not only are visually appealing with the tower but also will be utilized by everyone since that location seems to be ideal,” she said.

The $6.5 million tower is donated by Hugh and Nancy Elliot and will be 151 feet tall and contain 49 bells.